Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Oli G.....

steve_langford

Default Question for Oli G.....

Just took a look at your sig and seen that you had a hell of alot of competition experience in BJJ , sub grappling and amateur MMA.

My question is quite simple really , Do you still get nervous?

Yes. Every time.

Even if I know I should win, it's still scary. I get LESS scared in a gi competition because it's more predictable and slower paced, but MMA, No-Gi, whatever. I still get nervous as hell. I just run with it.
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Good thread

Some questions I would like to put to you Mr Geddes

1. What motivates you to compete in as many tournaments in the UK and abroad ?

2. Apart from Eddie Bravo and Roger Gracie being influences in your game ! Who in the Academy has been instrumental in developing your game and who pushes you the most in your training ?

Thanks

The HangMan

Can I add a question, your game reminds me of someone like a Ryan Hall or an Eddie Bravo as ts mentioned, an unorthodox grappler, how did you develop this when your instructor Roger is known more for solid, simple techniques.

steve_langford

TTT for a real interview!!

Hey Oli, just to let you know theres a vid on www.cagefilm.com of you sparring with Eddie Bravo!
    Check out the ROUGH GUIDE - EDDIE BRAVO section in the new article. Lots of outtakes and extras from the filming including quite a decent sparring session with the two of you!

Tim

Another question!

Are you going to start pro MMA at some point? If so, will your strategy be to pull guard/half guard or will you be planning on getting top position?

...or maybe even stand and trade?!

Daihlo- cheers for posting that vid, it's a good watch!

I think a proper interview needs to happen!

First point before I answer individual posts, is that I did do an interview with MMAUNLTD.COM which should be uploaded very shortly. I believe the webmaster is out of action for a couple of days, but will be in their next update. Deals with a couple of the questions on here, but will try my best to answer them anyway.

Also, quick disclaimer...there are people on this forum who are significantly more qualified to answer questions on BJJ than myself. I limit my topics of expertise to competing and half-guard. Just so ya know. ^_^

[Edit: Oh, and I have an old interview courtesy of Meerkatsu at:

http://meerkat69.blogspot.com/2009/0...ddes-half.html

Great blog! Read it!]
    Last edited by Stalkachu; 11-02-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The HangMan View Post
    Good thread

Some questions I would like to put to you Mr Geddes

1. What motivates you to compete in as many tournaments in the UK and abroad ?

2. Apart from Eddie Bravo and Roger Gracie being influences in your game ! Who in the Academy has been instrumental in developing your game and who pushes you the most in your training ?

Thanks

The HangMan
    1. Various things. Firstly, the fact that I'm doing this for a living. It's my career, and I have no excuse NOT to compete, barring injury or lack of finance. Competitions also give you a sense of purpose, something to drive you to improve, because you beat guys you think look unbeatable, then you see guys you've fought and sometimes beaten wearing the belt above and doing well, and then you know you can compete at that level and makes you want to train harder to get to that level, etc. etc. Finally, it's to make myself stand out. There will be loads of Black Belts in the UK one day. And the only way to distinguish one from the other on paper is what they've achieved. So I'm just trying to make sure I can have the largest advertising flyer ever created to list all my accomplishments. ^_-

2. Phew. There's a question. Honestly, nearly everything I do has come from a different source. There's never been one guy who has taught me multiple things (although I will give a quick shout out to aesopian.com - I never MEANT to use a lot of his stuff, but I've adapted a lot of elements from his site over time with a great deal of success). I can trace most moves back to one person or another, but no-one's really steered me in this direction. In terms of non-RGA HQ Black Belts who have helped steer my game - Tomek Rydzewski (I hope I spelt that right. @_@), Andy Roberts, Nick Brooks have all given a lot. They all have a wealth of technical knowledge and have answered a lot of questions as they come up. My best training partner has always been Connor Culleton (we started about the same time, he knows my game and I know his, but we always roll well together), but my current group of guys who really push me include: Andy Roberts, Cesar Lima, Kevin Capel, Pablo Cabo, Tomas Genske and Bruno Zancaner. All very tough guys with a lot of experience.

Who's my hardest roll? Tomek. He kills me every time, and it sucks. -_- And Luciano, who's similar, but much more painful and less pleasant. @_@

Quote Originally Posted by 123 MMA View Post
    Can I add a question, your game reminds me of someone like a Ryan Hall or an Eddie Bravo as ts mentioned, an unorthodox grappler, how did you develop this when your instructor Roger is known more for solid, simple techniques.
    The great thing about RGA for me has always been that we've had SO MANY different (and highly talented) instructors through the door. I mean, off the top of my head:

Roger, Mauricio, Lagarto, Felipe, Jude, Marcio, Gustavo, Alex.

Of all those guys, the only ones whose game I would describe as 'basic' is Roger and Mauricio. So you get exposed to a lot of different influences.

Almost as important is how prevalent internet instruction is these days. Even if some of the techniques you get are ultimately flawed, they get you thinking in different directions and allow you to adapt other techniques in little ways and make them work. And I've seen a lot of techniques on the internet. @_@

I think ultimately the main reason is I'm stubborn and am very good at telling myself I'm doing the right thing, allowing me to ignore what everyone else is telling me to do and just doing what I feel is working for me. ^_^ My basic game, as laid out in various sources, was set fairly early on. And I'm not the kind of guy to move on to other things if what I'm doing is working, so I stuck with it, got better at it, it kept working, and so on and so forth. Rest is history, and all that. ^_- Obviously, the key question is whether I'll still be able to do this at Brown and up, but I guess we'll find out...