Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Oli G.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh C View Post
    Another question!

Are you going to start pro MMA at some point? If so, will your strategy be to pull guard/half guard or will you be planning on getting top position?

...or maybe even stand and trade?!

Daihlo- cheers for posting that vid, it's a good watch!

I think a proper interview needs to happen!
    ...I will fight Pro MMA, but it won't be for quite a while, and it DEFINITELY won't be a career. But I will do it. Just only when I'm good and ready and there isn't anything else distracting me. So, honestly, probably at least a couple of years from now, if not more. Will I pull half-guard? I don't know. I think it's a viable option, but it does depend on the quality of the opponent. I might try it, but I definitely wouldn't try it unless I'd spent a lot of time practising it in a striking environment and been successful at least the majority of the time. ^_-

And my striking isn't anything compared to what it used to be (which wasn't much in the first place. ^_^), but I'd put the time in there as well. Working on Boxing and Thai, and maybe even getting a few fights in either of those rulesets in first. I remember many many years ago, I wanted a whole lot of things from my martial arts career, and a Muay Thai Bout, and Amateur Boxing Match, a Judo Black Belt, a BJJ Black Belt and various other stuff I remember was all on my list. So...yeah, will try and work on that when I'm satisfied with my achievements at Black Belt. @_@

And thanks for the video! I have most of it up on my blog already, but nice to see the bits that were cut from the actual show. Will probably head back at some point and have another roll and see if I've got any better. If I do go, will try and film. Secret Cameras. ^_^
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    1.Who's my hardest roll? Tomek. He kills me every time, and it sucks. -_- And Luciano, who's similar, but much more painful and less pleasant. @_@
    and the worst thing is the manner in which Tomek does it is seemingly so effortless (like vernon) as if he is more focused on what he might cook for tea and dismantling someone on the mat is just a minor distraction.

Oli, i have a question for you, is it true you model your takedowns on nick serra, your 1/2 guard on eddie b and your ears on wallid ismael

Quote Originally Posted by akiraB
    Alright mate.Was just reading the old debate last year on the forum about calsons and helios difference in style and basically calson prefence for the top postion and only going for bottom when yopu are forced into it becuase he viewed it as inferiour to the top.

Anyway i have watched many of your fights, i notice you pull half guard alot to great success. I admire that but i do think its more difficult to play an inferior postion from the get go. Dont get me wrong it shows your skills if your pulling half guard agaisnt top level people and still winning.

Anyway my question is why do you feel compfortable in the half guard postion? is it to do with your body type or is it just by chance that you started to learn more from that postion?. Was there times you felt like saying forget this half guard and trying to play from top or different stratergy??

Congrats on your brown and i'm sure if your still doing half guard game by the time your black, you can write a book on it..
    I...guess I just feel comfortable there because that's where I've always been strongest. I've had two big issues in BJJ from day one and that was very poor grip strength and an inability to break posture in closed guard. So that pretty much ruled out spider/open guards and closed guard, leaving me with Half/Butterfly - that kind of game. Also, as a result of the lack of grip strength, I've developed a very No-Gi type game, where the vast majority of my grips are gable grips, palm-to-palm, that kind of thing. Maybe it's an Eddie Bravo thing from the early days, to an extent. Or a combination. Not really sure. But the advantage of half-guard is that it doesn't rely on strength as much as some other guards do. It's more physical, but if you're patient and work the game correctly, you should never really have to use a lot of strength or fight for grips etc.

And...no, I've never really decided to change the plan. I mean, my top game is actually a lot better than it used to be, because now I sweep a lot of people in training, so the challenge is dealing with the guard rather than the sweep itself. I've fought some pretty decent guard players and managed to pass their guards or at least survive, and I'm working on getting better at that as time goes on. But half-guard has always been the easiest way to get everything done. Yes, it is technically an inferior position, but it's an inferior position that is very very easy to get to and if you're very experienced at it, it makes up for the inherent flaws in the position. The way I see it is that if your strongest game isn't working, the problem is that you need to make your strongest game better, rather than switch out to something else that might be more appropriate. Because otherwise, how are you going to deal with someone who's good at everything? @_@

And at some point in the next few months, I would like to put out a series of short free instructionals on half-guard stuff, which is something I'm going to be working on for a while. Hopefully there's some interest, and maybe I can do it all again once I get to Black. ^_^

Great thread. Thanks for answering everyone's questions.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Agreed, good read, didn't realise you had done all those competitions in just two years. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by briant_gumble View Post
    Agreed, good read, didn't realise you had done all those competitions in just two years. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
    Did MOST of the competitions in the last two and a half years. Although I did a couple in my first two years of training, maybe 50 fights or so in that time, and the rest since then?

And I'm 25. Started just after my 21st Birthday. Too late, etc. etc. ^_-

Take care,

Stalks

Did MOST of the competitions in the last two and a half years. Although I did a couple in my first two years of training, maybe 50 fights or so in that time, and the rest since then?

And I'm 25. Started just after my 21st Birthday. Too late, etc. etc. ^_-

Take care,

Stalks
    Ta, for the response, started at the same age as cobrinha I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by briant_gumble View Post
    Ta, for the response, started at the same age as cobrinha I believe.
    Maybe, but he had YEARS of Capoeira behind him at that point. I have, uh, two years of Wing Chun, the same amount of Wu Shu, and six months of Boxing and Thai.

...I think he has some advantages that I don't. ^_-

Maybe, but he had YEARS of Capoeira behind him at that point. I have, uh, two years of Wing Chun, the same amount of Wu Shu, and six months of Boxing and Thai.

...I think he has some advantages that I don't. ^_-
    Where is the crossover with capoeira? I'm not really familiar with capoeira. The flexibility training? For lots of the people I know having done stand up is no guarantee they will pick up the ground game faster than someone who has never trained before.