Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Fitch - "Closed Guard Is Dead In MMA"

Default Jon Fitch - "Closed Guard Is Dead In MMA"

Here's some interesting comments from Jon Fitch in the aftermath of the Marquardt - Sonnen fight. He states that fighters should forget about trying to go for a submission from their back. I think really he's referring to fighting wrestlers in particular.

Jon Fitch - The Closed Guard Is Dead In MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Fight Of The Night View Post
    Here's some interesting comments from Jon Fitch in the aftermath of the Marquardt - Sonnen fight. He states that fighters should forget about trying to go for a submission from their back. I think really he's referring to fighting wrestlers in particular.

Jon Fitch - The Closed Guard Is Dead In MMA
    Its only dead if all you rely on is throwing up for armbars and triangles instead of working for sweeps and sub combos, white belts can practice throwing up for armbars and triangles. Ask big nog if closed guard is dead.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

I can see where he's coming from a lot of guys get stuck fighting from closed guard.Especially against wrestlers and get pounded.Personally I wanna be on top in an MMA fight.Its a strong statement though and closed guard is a formidable position albeit a bit tricky and stalemating.

Closed guard has it's place in MMA - just ask Big Nog or anyone from Black House and BTT....

Also - watch Wandy v Saku II - Wanderlei shows how to use the closed guard - at one point armbarring Saku - he only let it go because he wanted to KO Saku....

The most hated Gaijin of all

Yes it is but PRISON guard is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    Closed guard has it's place in MMA - just ask Big Nog or anyone from Black House and BTT....

Also - watch Wandy v Saku II - Wanderlei shows how to use the closed guard - at one point armbarring Saku - he only let it go because he wanted to KO Saku....
    i concur. Big Nog will show Fitch how to use a closed guard against brock lesnar.

lads calm down, he quite clearly says unless you are a maia or aoki type it's dead against top level wrestlers. I'm sure this extends to all top level jits guys like Nog etc. For the most part I agree, if your guard is not killer, you should be working to sweep or escape to feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    lads calm down, he quite clearly says unless you are a maia or aoki type it's dead against top level wrestlers. I'm sure this extends to all top level jits guys like Nog etc. For the most part I agree, if your guard is not killer, you should be working to sweep or escape to feet.
    Always the sound of reason my brother.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

what the fuck is jon fitch doing at 1.23 in this video, he dont look right
    Luke 'El Nino' Dalmedo
    Team Crossface
    Mill Hill BJJ
    Pro Record: 2-1-0

Quote Originally Posted by mainsy View Post
    Yes it is but PRISON guard is alive and well.
    Dude, keep up. Everyone knows security guard is the best new thing these days.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/