Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Good Basics win fights"

"If he starts doing all kinds of fancy shit take the basics and smash it down his throat"

"If he's got a good guard and you don't know what's going on just stick your knee in the middle"

Both BJ Penn quotes along the same line, great article.

Im at a stage in my jujitsu now where I want to go back and revise all my basics even contemplating doing the beginners classes again.I want to gain a deeper understanding of the basics and the fundamentals of jujitsu so that I have a solid grounding for when i get my black belt.I think I may spend a year just on this alone.Refining basics and all the detailing of my techniques.
    But not that many instructors really sit down with you and explain more about the finer points and core jujitsu principles,detailing,keeping your base low etc does anyone know of any good books dvd's you can recomend.

Swiftmotion- I've got a pile of 'em. Some are better than others, but none my books will give you what you need. Roy Dean's DVDs seem promising. I've only seen the blue belt one, but I would describe it as bullshit free basics, done well.

I would suggest a few private lessons, or ask well thought out questions in class.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftMotion View Post
    Im at a stage in my jujitsu now where I want to go back and revise all my basics even contemplating doing the beginners classes again.I want to gain a deeper understanding of the basics and the fundamentals of jujitsu so that I have a solid grounding for when i get my black belt.I think I may spend a year just on this alone.Refining basics and all the detailing of my techniques.
    But not that many instructors really sit down with you and explain more about the finer points and core jujitsu principles,detailing,keeping your base low etc does anyone know of any good books dvd's you can recomend.
    A lot of higher grades at my gym (most of them, in fact) go to the beginners classes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftMotion View Post
    For good basic instructionals you cant go wrong with Demian Maia's Science of Jiujitsu 1 & 2 and of course Saulos Jiujitsu Revolution DVD's. These helped me no end with basic concepts and principles.

But to be fair mate, these instructionals are just supplementary, your mat time and time with your instructor is key to developing good basics.

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

great blog - really enjoyed that

I didn't really invest the time in properly learning techniques when I started because I just wanted to wrestle. I'm really having to make up for that. The basics are the foundation of all your learning