Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: passing rubber guard

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    You're going about it the wrong way, you need to prevent getting into those positions (I am not sure on the naming but assume they are both when your posture is broken) before looking to pass.

If they have broken your posture, look for one of two positions...

1. your hands controlling each of their biceps
    2. your elbows tight to their hips with hands on their abdomen/lower chest

From either of those you need to posture up. Keep your head up, maintain pressure with your arms (keeping them flat to the floor) and engage your back and hips to sit upright. Now try to open the guard and pass from there.
    I would go for no 2. I would be very wary of using bicep control in rubber guard for risk of giving up an overhook
    Yo Rashad - do you want fries with that?

If you have proper biceps control it should be very difficult for them to get an overhook from there.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

If done right, no can defense

I can never get the arm out from mission control so give up 99% of the time ! I'm going to a 10th planet affiliate to try and understand it more

What is the mission control position? When they have your posture broken and an overhook on your arm?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

I thought it was the transition between the half guard to reverse rubber guard to twister followed by the NASA sweep

Mission Control is the basic position, no overhook, only the shin grip.

New York is the overhooking position.

I'll be opening 10th Planet London next month. ^_-
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Mision Control transition into Omoplata or Gogoplata.. one of the highest percentage subs i've encountered.. Rubber Guard is really effective imo.. but not impossible to escape. Learn rubber guard and you'll find the escapes yourself easier to be honest..

GG

Technically, surely it's impossible to go from Mission Control to Gogo/Omo, since their hand isn't on the mat yet and not controlled, so you would be unable to go to either of those subs without going through New York/Chill Dog first?

God, I sound like a retard. @_@

And seriously, how are all these people getting gogos? Every time I try it, the guy blocks the heel and the only thing I COULD choke is his nose. Omos, sure, but...ah well, just my thoughts. If I was a dick, I could do a Noseoplata, but that's hardly good jiujitsu.

Take care,

Stalks
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod View Post
    Mision Control transition into Omoplata or Gogoplata.. one of the highest percentage subs i've encountered.. Rubber Guard is really effective imo.. but not impossible to escape. Learn rubber guard and you'll find the escapes yourself easier to be honest..

GG
    I agree with this post and its where Im struggling.

ok I don't know all the names, he's got your hand on the mat(think its new york)then he goes to pass the leg over for a gogoplata or omoplata. This part i find hard to stop, so I have 1 arm to defend his attemps to get his leg across.which he can use his spare hand to help achive. 2 v 1 is good odds for him, if i stop the leg with my hand should i try to roll?. If he gets it across he has the above subs to go for. What can i do to try and escape if it gets to this point?.

I know to posture in the first place to avoid the postion but its the same as posture up and you wont get triangled, well ive been triangled and have been shown triangle escapes after he's got his legs his and your arms in the correct place. Just wondered if there was any escapes for this postion.

As for learning it myself I have looked at it, Im as flexible as butterbean and never will. Its not everyone who attempts this move gets me in a omoplata its people who know how to use this postion to a good standard.

Thanks for all the replies helpful and funny.