Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy band star brings brutal sport to Cheltenham (Knuckleup)

Default Boy band star brings brutal sport to Cheltenham (Knuckleup)

Boy band star brings brutal sport to Cheltenham
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 07:11

​One of the world’s most brutal sports will take centre stage in Cheltenham.

Cage fighting, in which martial arts experts are locked in a ring and forced to battle until someone is knocked out or gives in, will make its debut at Cheltenham Racecourse on Saturday.

The event has been organised by Knuckleup, a promotions company run by former pop star and Big Brother contestant Dane Bowers.

It has already attracted a celebrity guest list including footballer Ian Wright, pop group Mis-Teeq, former gangster Dave Courtney and glamour model Bianca Gascoigne.

Andy Clifton, spokesman for the racecourse, said Knuckleup: Origin would offer something different for the town.
    Click here for more

“It is new and it will be interesting. What we are always trying to do is make use of the facilities we have here and use them to their best extent,” he said.

“We had more than 1,000 people at a military black tie event here last weekend, so this will be something completely different.

“It’s good to have a broad range of events.”

Cage fighting became popular in the USA in the early 1990s.

The original format pitted martial arts experts against each other with very few rules in an attempt to find out which style of fighting was most effective.

Promoters later added more laws to make the sport safer and broaden its appeal. Mr Clifton dismissed fears the brutality of cage fighting would tarnish Cheltenham’s image.

He said: “It is a professionally organised and professionally run sport.

“Undoubtedly it will not be for everyone, but we are not telling everyone to come and watch it. Anyone who wants to watch it will be doing so by choice.”

The racecourse show, which will be hosted at The Centeur conference centre, will be the second event organised by Mr Bowers and his partners, the first taking place at Celtic Manor Hotel in Newport.

The pop star found fame with boyband Another Level and recently appeared on the last ever series of Celebrity Big Brother.

A spokesman for Knuckleup said: “We hope this move will once again give the potential talent nestling within the UK scene a real chance to shine in the spotlight.

“The event promises not only top-class mixed martial arts action, but also delivers it to the fans via revolutionary production values for a UK-based event.”

For more information visit: www.knuckleup.co.uk

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....l/article.html

WTF? Dane Bowers runs Knuckle up? Thats a horrible write up by a complete tit using the base level terminology for 'ta cage fighting' but informative still. Cheers for posting

Captain America is my Dad mickclark's Avatar

Dane Bowers? WTF????
    Meh...........

boxingbrit

Good publicity for the show. Great fight card too

I thought Matt ran this promotion ????

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinSubz02 View Post
    WTF? Dane Bowers runs Knuckle up? Thats a horrible write up by a complete tit using the base level terminology for 'ta cage fighting' but informative still. Cheers for posting
    No Dane does not run knuckleup i have brought him in as a partner in the business. Ian posted this as i have raised my opinions with the writer of this article and how bad the writeup was. Dane is a great help in the business and is very knowledgable. We have some major plans.

Follow this link and post some comments against the idiots that have been slating it on the site: click here.

I will be doing a full write up with the papers giving our side of the story and defending MMA, NOT CAGE FIGHTING!!

Thanks for your support guys

Matt
    Knuckleup "Eclipse" at Hull Arena on the 29th October

Quote Originally Posted by kaizer View Post
    I thought Matt ran this promotion ????
    I do Travis. I have brought dane in as a partner.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinSubz02 View Post
    Totally agree mate, a very lazy article. Very annoyed, but all publicity is good publicity!

Thanks
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckleup View Post
    Totally agree mate, a very lazy article. Very annoyed, but all publicity is good publicity!

Thanks
    Matt
    Well done on getting things moving and on the publicity. Good idea getting Bowers involved, these celebs seem to actually be pretty decent (I must be getting soft!). The writer is a tit so do chase them to improve, possibly offer them some interesting behind the scenes stuff to direct the publicity away from attracting unsavoury types. Good luck and I hope it goes really well for you

Shao

A lot of the comments below are written in a similar vain. The journalist who penned that article is a fucking embarassment. Good luck wih the show.