Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renzo Gracie vs Matt Hughes - Opinions

Captain America is my Dad mickclark's Avatar

Default Renzo Gracie vs Matt Hughes - Opinions

I am genuinely looking forward to this fight. TBH before watching 'Legacy' in the past few months I had heard of Renzo and had seen a couple of his bouts but that was it, since watching his documentary I have watched just about all his fights and studied his career quite in depth.

Looking at some other forums there seems to be quite a lot of 'hate' and 'dislike' for Renzo, much of this for some reason seems to be because of the GRACIE name. For me what I have seen of him in interviews and the documentary he seems like a proper sound guy and wears his heart on his sleeve, plus with him fighting Hughes and IMO he is the ultimate douchebag I thought there would be a lot more support for Renzo going into this fight. I am just interested to see what everyonelses opinion is about this fight and who they think will take it.

Mick
    Meh...........

Hope Renzo submits him painfully.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Williams View Post
    Hope Renzo submits him painfully.
    Thats more like it!
    Meh...........

hughes via GnP round 2
    "My whole life is an epic journey man, I mean who else do you know that listens to Enya whilst taking a dump?"

boxingbrit

I think Renzo is great. The best Gracie in MMA (apart from the living legend obviously) and will be a much better match than Royce was. Hughes could be a bad style for him but i hope he wins.

I really hope Renzo whups Hughes. But, Renzo is about 8 years older and hasn't fought in a few years....I have a horrible feeling it could be Hughes vs Royce all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    I really hope Renzo whups Hughes. But, Renzo is about 8 years older and hasn't fought in a few years....I have a horrible feeling it could be Hughes vs Royce all over again.
    Unlike Royce imo Renzo has taken the time to learn and cross train in other disciplines as well as his bread and butter of BJJ, whether it will be enough to beat Hughes we will have to wait and see. After watching Hughes/Serra and seeing how piss poor Hughes stand up is if Renzo can land a couple of shots and daze him you never know.
    Meh...........

We are all hoping Renzo puts up a great fight but realistically....

I just dont think Gracie JJ has really progressed from little more than good BJJ... which alone will not beat hughes, Hughes has good enough subs/sub defence to sit in your guard all day GnP/LnP whilst looking for the occasional armbar or kimura.

Yeah pure BJJ beat a lot of karate guys 15 years ago, but it won't get you that far these days and without seeming like a hater (I'm not.) I've never seen a Gracie with great takedowns or striking or conditioning yet.
    And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Quote Originally Posted by Valour5 View Post
    We are all hoping Renzo puts up a great fight but realistically....

I just dont think Gracie JJ has really progressed from little more than good BJJ... which alone will not beat hughes, Hughes has good enough subs/sub defence to sit in your guard all day GnP/LnP whilst looking for the occasional armbar or kimura.

Yeah pure BJJ beat a lot of karate guys 15 years ago, but it won't get you that far these days and without seeming like a hater (I'm not.) I've never seen a Gracie with great takedowns or striking or conditioning yet.
    Renzo does not come from the same school as Royce and all the "gracie-jiu-jitsu" clan. He's more on the Carlson side, this branch of the Gracie family isnt exactly what you would call "well-rounded" by today's mma standards, however, they've always focused on Vale Tudo and nogi as well.

boxingbrit

Renzo has decent stand up and has an allround game, not just GJJ