Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best striking style to compliment BJJ for MMA?

Muay Thai, but like Buddha says there's no need to wait you are obviously a blue belt now under gracie systems
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

I would say location is also a big thing to consider....

I would say you also have to look at what's convenient for YOU... If the boxing gym is say 10mins from you, and the nearest Thai gym is around 30-40 mins away I'd say do the boxing as you're more likely to stick to it....

Conversely, taking myself as an example, I've got two VERY good Muay Thai gyms around 5-10 mins from me, the boxing gym where I live is in the other side of town, so if I was gonna train striking I'd do Muay Thai as I'm more likely to stick to it due to the convenience of it's location.....

The Nog brothers, Murilo Bustamante, Vitor Belfort etc. all use boxing as their primary striking style. Even though they're familiar with Muay Thai, their primary striking style is boxing.
    Last edited by Jogs D; 17-02-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Personally id go see what's in your area and spend a few weeks at each one, see how you get on with that style and instructor and go from there. You have to train in it not us!

Everyone could say muay thai is the best for you but once you start training you find the local instructor is a total tool and you decide to leave...

Thanks for all the helpful replies! Not sure what I'll go for yet. I better save up some money so I can afford stand-up training to go with my already expensive BJJ.

Wouldnt it be best to say "Which ever gym has the best tuition" ?! If you take up say Muay Thai but the tutour is lousy then your wasting your time, Though if you have say a excellent Karate tutour then who would you pick?! Muay Thai because everyone on the net says so or would you choose the Karate tutour as he offers better tuition for your needs?!

Just a thought.

The Nog brothers, Murilo Bustamante, Vitor Belfort etc. all use boxing as their primary striking style. Even though they're familiar with Muay Thai, their primary striking style is boxing
    This seems to be the basis for many people. MT fundamental are essential, but most KOs seem to come from strikes.

My advice to anyone would be do both once you get in striking, but focus on eventually excelling in one. There is no exact science there. It will depend of what you are better at/ enjoy doing/ quality of coaching/ cost /convinience. Don't deceide what you need before doing it. Let what feels right take course.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldmysoulforabeer View Post
    Wouldnt it be best to say "Which ever gym has the best tuition" ?! If you take up say Muay Thai but the tutour is lousy then your wasting your time, Though if you have say a excellent Karate tutour then who would you pick?! Muay Thai because everyone on the net says so or would you choose the Karate tutour as he offers better tuition for your needs?!

Just a thought.
    I dont think Karate is very effective when it comes to MMA as most places dnt focus on full contact. The reason why fighters like machida make it work is due having quick reflexes as aposed to katate skills!
    CONTROL YOURSELF!!!!

Personally I would pick Muay Thai/Kickboxing because I like to kick

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dion View Post
    I am leaning towards doing boxing rather than muay thai because I'm only 5'9 and my legs aint that long...plus kicking doesn't feel natural to me.
    You may not like kicking, but your opponent might and you need to know how to cope with it.