Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Press up challenge!

boxingbrit

If you work on sets with strict push ups work out how many you can do in one go. The after a rest try 10 sets of 70- 80% of that. You should increase quite quickly.

Also try doing as many as you can at the start of each set on your finger tips before dropping to your hands. it helps work the forearms and stabiliser muscles too

Haha I'll have to give it a shot one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    That is hard has hell, develops your lower chest fantastically
    Don't mean to sound like a dick mate but I'm almost 100% sure that it's impossible to develop your lower chest ? Especially with press ups ! Your muscle either develops as a whole or doesn't at all. I hate it when people say they do incline to build their upper chest or cable cross overs to work their inner chest, concentration curls to peak their biceps etc.

Sure at the start of an incline press the fibres higher up in the muscle start to fire first but by the end of the set if you reach failure almost all of the muscle will be firing to lift the weight. It's all genetics, some have wide sweeping pecs, fuller pecs at the top, some are fuller lower, some have tiny litle round pecs etc...The pec muscles can get bigger or smaller that is all, you cannot shape a muscle by isolating the inner, or lower pecs etc.

Question....If I gave one guy decline press only for a year and one guy incline would they both be walking around with bizarre shaped pecs ? Of course not they'd both just have bigger pecs and in the shape they have been genetically given.

Somebody who is more knowledgeable on the subject please feel free to pick apart what I have said but that is just stuff I have picked up from just researching forums over the years etc...

It isn't impossible, your pecs are seperate muscles, hence why you do incline, flat and decline press to work different areas, for an example its like the when people are abs training, people say I need to work more on my upper abs when in fact your abs are just one complete muscle you can't develop one area more than the other you may just carry more fat in one particular area, the chest isn't just one muscle, its a group. They would both have bigger pecs than the ones they were given but they would look different to one another yes, trust me that is why during chest training you get sufficient training in on all decline, incline and flat bench press. You always seem to come in and pick an argument with me and I am more knowledgable, if you like I can list my qualifications, take pics of them post them because you always seem to think I am talking complete bull, I have better things to do with my time than come on the internet and give people dodgy advice. Trust me i am right.
    Taking this shit, one day at a time.

Sorry mate I don't mean to pick arguments with you, I simply disagree on some of the things you say. I'm also a level 3 qualified PT but have also spent years researching bodybuilding sites etc as that's what I used to be into year ago before I discovered mma.

The pec is most certainly not a group of seperate muscles, only pec major and minor, you do not have to do incline, decline and whatever else to fully develop the pec. Doing so you are merely hitting the muscle from different angles.

I must also point out that doing close grip diamond press ups wont ' improve your triceps and pushing strength immensely ' like you say, as its a high rep endurance excercise. A friend of mine can do around 100 press ups off the bat, I can do about 50. Does that means he is way stronger than me ? Course not, he just has better upper body ME from doing them more often. I can bench press a LOT more than him as I train low reps for strength.

Fair enough whack an INCREASINGLY heavy load on your back whilst doing diamond press ups and yeah for sure your strength will increase. You would be much better doing close grip bench though.

I shall await the thoughts of somebody more knowledgeable than both of us but I feel you are wrong and need to open your eyes a bit, you seem very level 2 book knowledgey...if that makes sense. ACSM guidelines and all that.

I just typed pectoralis myths into google and look what came up .....

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...yths-exploded/

Read the very first one....Oh dear.
    Last edited by Jamie Taylor; 18-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.

boxingbrit

diamond pushup or close grip bench will work the entrie pec's but focus more effort on the trieps and inner chest

Fuck you all. I'm off to the gym to do pushdowns to develop the outer head of my triceps, one arm extensions to focus on the long head and then I'm gonna do incline, decline and horizontal leg presses to ensure I hit every quadricep muscle.

boxingbrit

enjoy the bodybuilding you fag

I'm off to train MMA and explosive power

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Taylor View Post
    Sorry mate I don't mean to pick arguments with you, I simply disagree on some of the things you say. I'm also a level 3 qualified PT but have also spent years researching bodybuilding sites etc as that's what I used to be into year ago before I discovered mma.

The pec is most certainly not a group of seperate muscles, only pec major and minor, you do not have to do incline, decline and whatever else to fully develop the pec. Doing so you are merely hitting the muscle from different angles.

I must also point out that doing close grip diamond press ups wont ' improve your triceps and pushing strength immensely ' like you say, as its a high rep endurance excercise. A friend of mine can do around 100 press ups off the bat, I can do about 50. Does that means he is way stronger than me ? Course not, he just has better upper body ME from doing them more often. I can bench press a LOT more than him as I train low reps for strength.

Fair enough whack an INCREASINGLY heavy load on your back whilst doing diamond press ups and yeah for sure your strength will increase. You would be much better doing close grip bench though.

I shall await the thoughts of somebody more knowledgeable than both of us but I feel you are wrong and need to open your eyes a bit, you seem very level 2 book knowledgey...if that makes sense. ACSM guidelines and all that.

I just typed pectoralis myths into google and look what came up .....

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...yths-exploded/

Read the very first one....Oh dear.
    First off that link is irrelevent because were steds are involved it doesnt matter what chest workouts you do it will go mega, secondly i got taught off ranked 7 in britain an ironman who teaches this at college and he uses this principle, he is interesting in bodybuilding and test boosters/steds like arnie was, hes ripped to death, I'm not a stage 2, I did a crash course on stage 2 when i was 16 so dont insult me. Your wrong again, I didnt say anything about being stronger than someone else, I said it will improve your own strength and pushing power.. read it again. I can't be bothered arguing anyways. Don't know why I bother with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by boxingbrit View Post
    diamond pushup or close grip bench will work the entrie pec's but focus more effort on the trieps and inner chest
    And the inner/Pec minor muscle is situated mainly were in the muscle?? lower section?... Yes.

Thankyou for proving my point.

boxingbrit

obviously the inner pec goes up the middle from bottom to top. If that proves your point then ... yes. I didnt actually read all your two's argument