Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Press up challenge!

This argument needs to be resolved with a triple threat pushup challenge.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    First off that link is irrelevent because were steds are involved it doesnt matter what chest workouts you do it will go mega, secondly i got taught off ranked 7 in britain an ironman who teaches this at college and he uses this principle, he is interesting in bodybuilding and test boosters/steds like arnie was, hes ripped to death, I'm not a stage 2, I did a crash course on stage 2 when i was 16 so dont insult me. Your wrong again, I didnt say anything about being stronger than someone else, I said it will improve your own strength and pushing power.. read it again. I can't be bothered arguing anyways. Don't know why I bother with some people.
    Mate, seriously. That post is just ...LOL

First of all what the fuck has steroids got to do with anything. No idea where that came from ? And you have just told us your teacher is a misinformed roid head and hes getting big, ripped and RANKED 7th in britain because of the gear not cos of his crossovers that are giving him that defined ' inner chest ' you speak of.

Secondly you claimed doing diamond press ups is ' increasing your pushing strength immensely ' which is just silly as anyone with half a brain knows press ups aren't great for strength development no matter how wide / narrow the grip, if it was true that would mean my friend would be way stronger than me as he does loads of close grip press ups, depth press ups, wide arm press ups etc. I don't do any to be honest, well i do but only as general warm ups before training so why isnt he stronger than me. He should have, as you say ' immense ' pushing strength.

A muscle can contract and relax that is all, get bigger or smaller it cannot be shaped. Please think about what I said about one guy doing decline only, by your theory hed have big lumps at the bottom of his chest and zero muscle at the top, there'd be some funny looking people about. And please stop saying inner chest, upper pecs, lower pec etc as it doesnt exist, if you had upper pecs, lower pecs and inner pecs you would need 3 different origin and insertion points.

Mate you are clearly wrong but are too narrow minded to see, all you do is say ' I don't know why I bother, cant be bothered arguing '. You do it everytime someone questions you. It's ridiculous.

You have learned something today and should thank me.

And the inner/Pec minor muscle is situated mainly were in the muscle?? lower section?... Yes.

Thankyou for proving my point.
    Wow........just wow. So the pec minor is now known as the inner pec ? LOL

I have worked in various gyms for the past 11 years. People call the origin of the pec major ( where it meets the sternum ) the inner pec ( which is silly ) and try to build that area by doing cross overs etc hoping to get that striated look.. As I stated it is impossible to target this area as the muscle contracts as a whole.

The pectoralis minor is NOT the inner pec. There is no such thing as an inner pec. Yes it's behind the pec major and has seperate function ie moving the arms down towards the body so yes it is possible to stress the pec minor more by doing say a decline press as that is the main function BUT you cannot develop your upper pec, lower pec, inner pec etc because they dont exist... For fucks sake.

If that was the case we'd need 4 origins and insertions to work each muscle differently.

inner pec
    outer pec
    upper pec
    lower pec

Reality = The entire pectoralis muscle ( major and minor ) would get enough stimulation by doing flat bench alone and would eventually grow but would stay the same shape your genetics are pre determined for you to have.

If you don't agree please tell me which part of the muscle flat bench works ? If incline works upper, decline works lower, then surely flat would work the middle pecs right ? Oh wait we have no middle pecs do we, maybe it works the inner pecs ? Oh wait thats the pec minor though isnt it ? So now the flat bench isolates the pec minor and not the major ?
    Last edited by Jamie Taylor; 18-02-2010 at 02:56 PM.

And the inner/Pec minor muscle is situated mainly were in the muscle?? lower section?... Yes.

Thankyou for proving my point.
    LOL. This gets better, you don't even know where the muscles you speak of actually are.

Please read the top line of this page !!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectoralis_minor_muscle

Here I'll write it for you....

The Pectoralis minor is a thin, triangular muscle, situated at the upper part of the chest, beneath the Pectoralis major.

steve_langford

damn Jamie!! you know youre shit!!

Is it true that if I just wack the weights out I will turn my fat into muscle?

While I agree that Grizzly has got a very poor understanding on this topic (and most other stuff I've seen him come out with), there is some sense to the incline vs decline developing different parts of the muscle debate!

The pec major muscle is unusual in that it has a very broad insertion and the muscle fibres spread out like a fan, cross over and don't all insert at the same point. There are actually two "heads" that insert onto the humerus. These are the sternocostal and clavicular heads and they have slightly different actions and CAN be activated independently to one another to some degree.

While I doubt incline vs decline makes a big difference in activating different parts of the muscle, there is probably some effect.

Genetics undoubltedly play a role too, you can be born with a bias to one head or another, lots of people are missing the sternocostal part and some people are born with pec major on one side only- there was actually a UFC fighter with this a few years back but I can't remember his name.

Grizzly is wrong about almost everything else though and Jamie is generally spot on!
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by 6million$man View Post
    Genetics undoubltedly play a role too, you can be born with a bias to one head or another, lots of people are missing the sternocostal part and some people are born with pec major on one side only- there was actually a UFC fighter with this a few years back but I can't remember his name.
    Tra Telligman

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/p...s/16/16261.jpg

Thanks Jay. I thought he had Poland syndrome (where you're born without the pec muscle) but his wiki page says he lost it in a car accident as a child... I actually saw a patient with Poland syndrome the other day and thought "that must be what's wrong with that UFC guy". Now I'm not so sure- I know wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source!

This site has a reasonable explanation of pec anatomy and action and actually has references which is extremely unusual for the internet!:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa67.htm

A good musculoskeletal anatomy textbook is a better resource.
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Putting the debate aside, I'd never heard of diamond push-ups and so just gave a few ago, christ I was struggling. I'm not the strongest but was managing 'regular' push-ups not too bad... I'll definitely have to start working in a few variations. Any favourites?

Was just checking youtube and thought I might try: regular, diamond high & under, shuffle & frog push-ups or something... don't think I'm quite good enough for clapping or one handed ones yet lol

I have better things to do with my time than come on the internet and give people dodgy advice. Trust me i am right.
    I suggest you stop doing it then. I see you have removed all the qualified personal trainer stuff from your sig as well. A bit embarrassed maybe ? Hmmmm....

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he hasn't been online.

*Awaits post stating the usual, yer all wrong and I can't be arsed arguing*

Zan, what rock have you been living under ? Next thing you're gonna tell us you've never heard of snake press ups aka dive bombers !!

Anyway, haven't got time to explain what they are as I'm off to work the inner, upper part of my biceps with seated concentration spider curls.

Sorry, I'll drop it now !
    Last edited by Jamie Taylor; 18-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.