Thread: Openweight tournaments return as OFC premieres in Newcastle

Default Openweight tournaments return as OFC premieres in Newcastle

There's an interesting interview with OFC man Jonathan Burn up here, where he talks about their motivation for returning to an "open-weight" format of sorts, and how, as fans, they're hoping to provide the best night of action possible as they head to the Metro Arena on April 18th.

“The main reason we decided to have an open weight tournament is because they aren’t commonplace anymore,” says Jonathan Burn, Head of Promotions for the OFC. And it’s mostly for good reason that open weight tournaments are scarce these days, given that injuries and large weight disparities can muddle up the results of such an event. But the OFC has done their homework.

“The tournament is scheduled over four events,” says Burn. “We wanted a tournament that was going to span over events rather than the old one-night eight-man tournaments. At least if one of the winners does break a hand, an ankle or tears a muscle they can still proceed to the next round.”

More:

http://news.fightmagazine.com/optimus-mma-uk-3519/

Sounds hawt, i might pop along if i can afford it.
    "You can't fight in a cage with a knife" Lennie Scutter.

Seeing Dan Severn's 'tache in the flesh is surely worth the entrance fee alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Seeing Dan Severn's 'tache in the flesh is surely worth the entrance fee alone?
    YES!

Im going to feel awesome that day , knowing dan is on the same island as me!
    being empty of yourself you cannot be attacked because you arent filled by you.

The first time I saw it I wept like a child!!

Apparently a member of scotlands notorious mma team ( guess who ) once asked Dan " the beast " Severn if he got his name as he was a danger to children and he laughed his ass off!! Clearly a cool guy.... Or a nonce... Only kidding he's one of my heroes!!
    Can't wait till the show.

Quote Originally Posted by rocop View Post
    The first time I saw it I wept like a child!!

Apparently a member of scotlands notorious mma team ( guess who ) once asked Dan " the beast " Severn if he got his name as he was a danger to children and he laughed his ass off!! Clearly a cool guy.... Or a nonce... Only kidding he's one of my heroes!!
    Can't wait till the show.
    thats brilliant!