Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had bad depression?

Alright mate so what you're saying is you're clinically depressed, have a paranoid personality disorder, an anxious personality disorder, you're suffering from visual hallucinations, you're hyperglycemic, have shumans and need anger management??? Can i ask what depression rating scale you scored 25 out of 27 on??? Has anyone identified what's making you depressed...ie..chemical imbalance, personal circumstance etc??? Hyperglycemia can be controlled by medication and diet depending on cause and severity, not sure what can be done about your back, i'm a mental health nurse, not general so dont know a great deal on that, anger issues can usually be cleared up pretty quick with the right imput, but i'd be questioning the 2 personality disorders you've been diagnosed with, obviously its impossible to know without knowing anything thats going on, but in my experience, hallucinating, depression, anxious and paranoid feelings all combined, plus a depression rating of 25 out of 27 would be looking towards a psychotic depression??? Your physical problems are the least of your worries mate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanHunter View Post
    Alright mate so what you're saying is you're clinically depressed, have a paranoid personality disorder, an anxious personality disorder, you're suffering from visual hallucinations, you're hyperglycemic, have shumans and need anger management??? Can i ask what depression rating scale you scored 25 out of 27 on??? Has anyone identified what's making you depressed...ie..chemical imbalance, personal circumstance etc??? Hyperglycemia can be controlled by medication and diet depending on cause and severity, not sure what can be done about your back, i'm a mental health nurse, not general so dont know a great deal on that, anger issues can usually be cleared up pretty quick with the right imput, but i'd be questioning the 2 personality disorders you've been diagnosed with, obviously its impossible to know without knowing anything thats going on, but in my experience, hallucinating, depression, anxious and paranoid feelings all combined, plus a depression rating of 25 out of 27 would be looking towards a psychotic depression??? Your physical problems are the least of your worries mate!!!
    Psychosis?Bollocks mate,no offence.Labels mean nothing but profits for drug companies.We are convinced by the media that happy is how we should feel and if we dont theres something wrong and we need drugs and therapy from people who are well balanced like doctors and therapists.Happiness is fleeting in humans,thats what nature intended.
    "My God is a squirrel called Norman,hes got arms like Popeye"
    Bullbreed rescue and rehoming.PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    Psychosis?Bollocks mate,no offence.Labels mean nothing but profits for drug companies.We are convinced by the media that happy is how we should feel and if we dont theres something wrong and we need drugs and therapy from people who are well balanced like doctors and therapists.Happiness is fleeting in humans,thats what nature intended.
    Come to work with me and tell me if happiness if fleeting!!! In general terms it is, but by his own admission there's a little more going on than a bit of seasonal blues!!! No offence taken.

labels mean nothing?

huge generalisation from the mind of a conspiracy theorist who sees the man trying to opress the people at every turn mean nothing.

if we hadn't started labeling illness of the mind and body we would still be in the dark ages where a priest would be telling simmy that his condition was the result of demons and he needed an exorcism, prayer and most likely some blood letting.

I feel happy, every day i wake up with a small smile inside, i might look like death warmed up in the mornings, but i whistle as i go to pop the kettle on, smirk to myself as i look in the mirror to see if i can get away without trimming my beard for another day, the day gets better from there, i'm an ordinary guy that gets to spend his time with extraordinary people, people who are dedicated to training, self improvement and facing their fears.

reading about the depression here has made me realise just how lucky i am, i have good friends, i've know the love of a beautiful exciting woman, ive marvelled at the world around me, i have self educated myself on every topic that caught my interest, and enjoy every minute of the process, in short all of it, even the bad stuff, my entire life has been a real privilege.

It gives me in one sense, a feeling of 'survivors guilt', that i lucked out in the lottery of DNA and avoided depression, i imagine that if i had depression, even if my life were the same, it would take the joy out of it all.

happiness does not have to be fleeting in Humans, and if those doctors and therapists can help people to find their happiness, they dont deserve your scorn.

I think if youve got a reason to be depressed then its a natural state of affairs for us emotionally driven humans to be so.However if your Robbie Williams etc and your depressed,then your a cunt.Happiness is not our natural state,it has little value in evolutionary terms as it promotes inersia. Dont feel bad about being depressed Simmy,life is shit cos its meant to be.
    I wouldn't like to comment on Robbie Williams. I've never met him. However, there is a well known phenomenon which psychiatrists call endogenous depression. It is a kind of depression which arises from within with no obvious cause.

This phenomenon was recognised centuries before the emergence of medical psychiatry in the mid 19th century, and it has features which distinguish it from the kind of reactive depression that a lot of people on here seem to think we're talking about.... such as feelings of profound feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, despair and in some cases delusions of guilt. Also whereas a change of environment can help reactive depression, it does not always have any effect at all in cases of endogenous depression - at least not after a certain point in the progress of the depression or until they begin to climb out of it again. Once change of enviornment begins to have no effect, that is probably the time to start lookign for some kind of professional help.

As I said earlier in the thread, contrasting depression with happiness is not really helpful - despite the constant rhetoric in government health policy about improving the nation's happiness

The most important thing in helping anyone with any kind of depression is for those close to them to carry on spending time with them (to reassure them that people care about them) and for others to take the time to listen to what they are saying and respond empathically (assuming of course that the person is still motivated enough to talk, which is not always the case). If that point is reached, spending time with the depressed person can still be therapetuic though
    Last edited by Shaolin Exile; 21-02-2010 at 07:17 AM.
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

Troll hater.

Thanx for all the help and kind words...
    I'm done with chasin trolls

Troll hater.

My 25 out of 27 wscoring was on a questionaire that the mental health nurse gave me 2 complete..

I think what Dan is asking you is if you know it had a name. There are several standard instruments that can be used. Possibly he has some knowledge and understanding of them and was intending to comment on the significance of the score if you knew which one it was.

ON the other hand, I could be completely wrong
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

Troll hater.

Ive got to see the mental health nurse tomorrow again so i will find out what questionaire it was or what scoring sheet...i really appreciate everyones help....

Troll hater.

Hi mate...i looked it all up...got a feeling one of the depression questionaires was the Zung test and the other had questions like 'can u concentrate fully whilst watching tv or reading newspaper.'