Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect or lack of it in bjj in 2010

Default Respect or lack of it in bjj in 2010

I saw this list of things that define respect in bjj at a particular club. What are your thoughts and do you have any to add to the list? Or what would you consider are disrespectful to club or individual i.e i think it's disrespectful to say to insytructor " oh but i saw this world champ and he does this move this way..."

Respect:
    1. Shake hands with everyone on the mat at the start of class.
    2. When the instructor is teaching, keep your posture.
    3. Talking should be kept to a minimum and all words spoken should be about BJJ.
    4. Shake hand before and after each sparring session
    5. If an outstanding technique is performed, compliment your training partner.
    6. Shake hands with everyone after the instructor dismisses the class.
    7. Never initiate a fight outside of class.

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

i agree with all 7 points

All seems fairly common courtesy to me, we do all of that at our place other than shaking hands at the start. Pedro normally goes round greeting everyone at the start and then we all shake hands at the end.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

If you are an instructor and you speak Portuguese, but the class is in the UK and English is the mother tongue of the vast majority of your students, the speak fucking English when you're talking about anything related to BJJ!!!

I've seen this at quite a few academies and I find it seriously annoying. If you want to talk about football, politics etc then speak whatever language you like. But if you're showing a technique or giving a group some BJJ advice then don't suddenly start gibbering in Portuguese to the few Brazilian/Portuguese people in the class, whilst leaving the rest of us scratching our heads wondering why we're paying good money to listen to a language we don't understand!!!!

You fuckers know who you are!!!!

I would just say "be respectful", it shouldn't need any definition. If an adult can't act in a respectable manner then it's pretty worrying and I would be quite happy to have a word with them.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    if you're showing a technique or giving a group some BJJ advice then don't suddenly start gibbering in Portuguese to the few Brazilian/Portuguese people in the class, whilst leaving the rest of us scratching our heads wondering why we're paying good money to listen to a language we don't understand!!!!

You fuckers know who you are!!!!
    that comment is fucking disrespectful! The reason that they will speak in a little portugese i imagine is so that they can explain the finer intricasies of a tech, that their english will not translate perfectly. If u wana take a dig at u instructor. Tell him face 2 face! Instead of namelessly on an internet forum in the vain hope he mite read it and buck up wot u think are bad habits, that are actually of benefit 2 some other students.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameBoy View Post
    that comment is fucking disrespectful! The reason that they will speak in a little portugese i imagine is so that they can explain the finer intricasies of a tech, that their english will not translate perfectly. If u wana take a dig at u instructor. Tell him face 2 face! Instead of namelessly on an internet forum in the vain hope he mite read it and buck up wot u think are bad habits, that are actually of benefit 2 some other students.
    I did tell them face to face, that's why I left.

You 'imagine' a lot. Unfortunately you imagine wrong. If someone has a problem with English then that's fine. Speak Portuguese all you like. That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about obnoxiously rude people who don't want you to know what they're saying. Speaking in Portuguese to people who have a perfect command of English. I'm not actually referring to anyone in particular who reads this forum.

I'm talking about specific instances that you weren't witness to, at academies that you don't train at, so with all due respect, unless you're telepathic please don't jump down my neck like you know who or what I'm talking about, because I'm absolutely certain that you don't.

1. Shake hands with everyone on the mat at the start of class.

Cool.

2. When the instructor is teaching, keep your posture.

What?

3. Talking should be kept to a minimum and all words spoken should be about BJJ.

Nah, that's gay...like really gay.

4. Shake hand before and after each sparring session

cool

5. If an outstanding technique is performed, compliment your training partner.

A given..

6. Shake hands with everyone after the instructor dismisses the class.

Naw, cant we just have some good banter instead?

7. Never initiate a fight outside of class.

I dont even know what this is supposed to mean? Fight as in start a fight with someone on the street?

Bro I'm not to sure about the lack of respect in BJJ in the clubs I have trained at there has been a good level of respect I feel.Fact is not having respect in a bjj club or dojo is bound to get you into a pickle really.No one likes a disrespectful person.Do however feel that bjj has a more casual style 'Real' or more laid back attitude at class.To be honest I like the idea of getting off work and relaxing,chatting,training bjj as though Im not joining the army or bowing to my godly superiors but actual people whom I train with,whom love the sport of jujitsu.
    So I would say as long as you have respect for your fellow man then cool it will show through.I agree with safe/hygenic practice of our art.Basic formalities like bowing to the instructor as he bows back to you and shaking hands after class.No one I does not ever shake or touch gloves before a roll.Respect the fact that your instructor has been where you are at the moment and that they are trying to train you.So accept there tuition.Whatever basic stuff really that shouldn't really be need to be said.

I was competing at the Bristol open on Saturday and I entered the mat without bowing to the ref (so did my competitor) the ref with a smile made us both go back off the mat and bow to him before re-entering. He was smiling etc and made a bit of a joke out of it but I was not entirely sure whether this is the norm etc, also I am 100% happy to show respect to guys who train bjj and hold higher belts etc. It's just the not knowing and the lack of a common approach that can leave us white belts a bit lost.. seems that BJJ standards are really wide from really lapse to quite formal. The problem seems to be that you can open yourself up to looking like you've got a bad attitude where you don't. From now on when i enter a comp I am going to bow before i come on the mat, I like the idea of being respectful as standard, I am glad that I was picked up on it.