Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect or lack of it in bjj in 2010

I was competing at the Bristol open on Saturday and I entered the mat without bowing to the ref (so did my competitor) the ref with a smile made us both go back off the mat and bow to him before re-entering. He was smiling etc and made a bit of a joke out of it but I was not entirely sure whether this is the norm etc, also I am 100% happy to show respect to guys who train bjj and hold higher belts etc. It's just the not knowing and the lack of a common approach that can leave us white belts a bit lost.. seems that BJJ standards are really wide from really lapse to quite formal. The problem seems to be that you can open yourself up to looking like you've got a bad attitude where you don't. From now on when i enter a comp I am going to bow before i come on the mat, I like the idea of being respectful as standard, I am glad that I was picked up on it. On the other hand it could have been a joke from the ref.. you just don't know

Fair enough but I don't see bowing as having anything to do with respect really. As I've said before, I'm happy to do it if someone demands it at their academy, but I don't see how bowing = respect. I think respect is shown through your actions over time.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

To be honest Rob I agree with you true respect can only ever be built up after time, I suppose I was referring to the "traditional" respect inbuilt into martial arts, probably slightly different topic..

The most hated Gaijin of all

Agreed!! I did traditional martial arts for long enough to know that alot of the things they require you to do in order to convey respect is utter bullshit. If anything the principles that are there too keep students humble and respectful have the exact opposite effect i.e. fat talentless wastes of space demanding people bow to them cause they have paid enough to wear a piece of black material around their waist, utter nonsense.

I doubt I'd bow to anyone in this country unless they were Japanese and bowed to me first showing respect in their cultures way. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, but being British and being in Britain and all, the decent thing to do to someone you've just met in my opinion is shake their hand and say hello, maybe introduce yourself.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Wiegieboard View Post
    I doubt I'd bow to anyone in this country unless they were Japanese and bowed to me first showing respect in their cultures way. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, but being British and being in Britain and all, the decent thing to do to someone you've just met in my opinion is shake their hand and say hello, maybe introduce yourself.
    And no wonder people hate the british.
    Insert whiny message

Quote Originally Posted by Duchman View Post
    Yeah, because all British people are the same

What is wrong with not bowing to people? Bowing isn't a culture people in the UK would be used to... nor Europe afaik. Just because someone doesn't bow, it doesn't mean they are disrespectful or worthy of hate... lol.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

We bow in class, don't see a problem with it, its just a formal way of getting the class started. I've never bowed before stepping on the mat at a comp tho, I've seen people do it, should this be done?
    Celtic Pride Martial Arts, Abertillery, Gwent
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thai Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Duchman View Post
    Enjoy your kata under waterfalls too?
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

Take you shoes off before walking on to the mats.