Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Respect or lack of it in bjj in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by LukeH View Post
    Take you shoes off before walking on to the mats.
    Something like that is exactly the point I was making. That shouldn't need to be a rule, it should be obvious to anyone, even people who don't train.

Long before I had any idea what grappling was, there was no way I would walk into a gym and onto a matted area with my shoes on. Sadly, I have found that people aren't all like this!!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

my mate goes mental when people who are late just walk onto the mat when he is teaching. he makes them walk back off and ask his permission to join, at which point he beasts everyone else in the room... love it

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Here in the brazil the rules are. i like em. (where i train)

Bow when you enter the mat.
    When class is going ask for permission when you enter the mat.
    Bow leaving and entering, when you go drink, or go to the toilet.
    Fix your gi between exercises.
    Dont use profanity.

Most are punished by burpees
    Insert whiny message

Don't get me wrong, I don't think rules like that are bad... I just wouldn't choose to enforce them myself. I would always respect any rules in any place I trained, whether I agreed with them or not.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I did tell them face to face, that's why I left.

You 'imagine' a lot. Unfortunately you imagine wrong. If someone has a problem with English then that's fine. Speak Portuguese all you like. That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about obnoxiously rude people who don't want you to know what they're saying. Speaking in Portuguese to people who have a perfect command of English. I'm not actually referring to anyone in particular who reads this forum.

I'm talking about specific instances that you weren't witness to, at academies that you don't train at, so with all due respect, unless you're telepathic please don't jump down my neck like you know who or what I'm talking about, because I'm absolutely certain that you don't.
    Fair enuff, I was wrong, I apolgise. I do agree that I was quick of the mark!

I trained Judo for a few years, Judo is from Japan, bowing was part of the etiquette and is a Japanese form of greeting. Therefore there was lots of bowing.

I now train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, surprisingly it is from Brazil. Keep it Brazilian, slap palms and touch knuckles. oh and throw in the occasional hug

On the bowing aspect, in BJJ we don't bow. But we stick to the ideas that most guys have posted. except the talking one, its good to have a chat between excersises, or when waiting to spar etc.

On an unrelated note though, in my thai gym. we always do a sort of, hands like your praying, and up to your head. Like a bow, its more a sign of respect. After every class, and also when you enter or leave the ring, and when you come in or out of the room.

I don't think this is unreasonable to be honest. Im learning the national sport and pride of thailand. Also, the fact i will still do a wai kru before every fight, to show my instructor respect, and still wear traditional dress when entering the ring for the fight, shows that the traditions and values that have been there hundreds of years, are still there. I think thats why i love the sport so much, the respect, tradition and pride of it is still there very much.

I don't think its so bad that some people ask to bow, I would be happy to do it in BJJ.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Quote Originally Posted by FlameBoy View Post
    Fair enuff, I was wrong, I apolgise. I do agree that I was quick of the mark!
    No problem fella!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duchman View Post
    Here in the brazil the rules are. i like em. (where i train)

Bow when you enter the mat.
    When class is going ask for permission when you enter the mat.
    Bow leaving and entering, when you go drink, or go to the toilet.
    Fix your gi between exercises.
    Dont use profanity.

Most are punished by burpees
    Pretty much how it is here too

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

Call me old fashioned but i have bowed before every bjj, traditional jujutsu, nogi grappling and mma bout ive ever been in
    just my way. not bothered if people bow back or not that is up to them