Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Submissions in the guard

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    a great tool, none the less!!

Maybe its a tool/sub used alot in judo?

I honestly couldnt say..
    I thought it was a staple BJJ guard pass/submission? We cover it in the Gracie Barra beginners class.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
    I thought it was a staple BJJ guard pass/submission? We cover it in the Gracie Barra beginners class.
    i dont know..

this p.j malarkie is all new to me..

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    i dont know..

this p.j malarkie is all new to me..
    Me too! As it was one of the first guard passes I was taught, I thought it was a basic move.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    Bloody hell mate - that brings back memories.....
    Apart from that dude in that old photo, anyone else ever pull off the voodoo in a fight? Crazy submission!

Edited - whehey - found a pic of the voodoo - I challenge anyone here to pull this off in competition....

Anyways - going back on topic - subs from the guard - leg locks and can-openers. Not much else I would bother doing - even then I'd only do a can-opener on someone I severely hated.....

ps. To the old-school guys here - bet this pic brings back memories!
    Man, I took that pic, very old school.

Funny, that event has been mentioned to me a few times recently. Just last month Josh Gavin (who was there being cornered by Rick Young) sent a couple of guys to train with me and I remembered him from that event.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    Bloody hell mate - that brings back memories.....
    Apart from that dude in that old photo, anyone else ever pull off the voodoo in a fight? Crazy submission!

Edited - whehey - found a pic of the voodoo - I challenge anyone here to pull this off in competition....

Anyways - going back on topic - subs from the guard - leg locks and can-openers. Not much else I would bother doing - even then I'd only do a can-opener on someone I severely hated.....

ps. To the old-school guys here - bet this pic brings back memories!
    I'd like to say that was illegal in that comp and I was up on points until that point

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
    Me too! As it was one of the first guard passes I was taught, I thought it was a basic move.
    some of the basic moves are the most effective moves imho..no matter what level of grappler u are...

i hit this guard pass and variations of it pretty often..

but since the gi is a 'new tool' i had never practiced the choke..

I learnt that in my 3rd or 4th lesson - it's bread and butter BJJ.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    simon hayes does that awesome choke submission from guard > passing. there was a vid of it posted on here few weeks back.

*edit*
    found - http://www.youtube.com/user/therealg...15/quEtvv5Fbbc
    thats pretty slick
    Bullshit I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!