Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: judo in mma

Quote Originally Posted by blanker View Post
    i do judo because i love it and have trained in it for all my life. pretty much the formula that has worked in mma is muay thai,boxing,wrestling and bjj, there are a few exceptions but the formally mentioned combo of arts have been proven time and time again to be the most successful,to the extent that pretty much every fighter trains them.

some throws from judo can be adapted to work without the gi but they already exist in wrestling.
    I see what your saying, Similar to BJJ and no-gi grappling. I would like to do some judo but i simply dont have the time, I train thai and BJJ at the minute. I will start mma when i feel ready as I would rather have a knowledge of some martial arts before going straight into mma.

I will however (when i move over to do some mma) do a night of judo and possibly 1 night of wrestling per week to help my mma game. I feel that somebody who jumps into mma straight away will get, good at everything. Whereas I would like to pay attention to my stand up, and my ground game, so i am very competent and accomplished in BJJ and thai boxing when i start MMA.

Also I feel it is a lot to take on at once to jump into mma and some people dont take to it without a good martial arts background of some sort. When i do start some mma (most likely when i get my blue belt in BJJ) I will encorporate wrestling, thai, judo and my BJJ. one night a week if thats all i can do.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

How many Judo guys are regularly throwing people in MMA? Not many, even world class guys struggle to throw mediocre competitors in MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by 123 MMA View Post
    How many Judo guys are regularly throwing people in MMA? Not many, even world class guys struggle to throw mediocre competitors in MMA.
    Thats one apsect of Judo. There is another which is not being taken down and a good judoka regularly in Randori is going to be hard sparing this a lot. The big part gained from training in Judo which compliments MMA is your balance and understanding body mechanics..so not only is it about throws it is also about not being taken down / thrown.

You only need to look at where this works so well for Fedor, people often try to wrestle him down and he pops a hip under their torso gets leverage and swings his balance and hey presto he is on top of them in side control. He ends up man handling people 20 to 30 Ilbs heavier then him (see Rogers for a good example).

some throws from judo can be adapted to work without the gi but they already exist in wrestling.
    Out of interest, are foot sweeps commonly taught in wrestling, or is that more of a Judo thing?

to the extent that thay have had to change the rules of judo to stop wrestlers putting on a gi and destroying judoka's in judo comps.
    That comment is simply wrong.

The rules were changed to try and protect judo's original techniques; IMO this is misguided but your statement about wrestlers putting on a gi and destroying judoka is just laughable; I have never been on with a pure wrestler in judo that I could not beat under judo rules.

Now there are judoka who have blended various wrestling influences such as the mongolians, gerogians, azerbaijan but they are still judoka competing in judo events; is is just another style of judo.
    Last edited by jcraig80; 07-03-2010 at 07:12 PM.