Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Who does or has paid for a grading?

  1. #1

    Default Who does or has paid for a grading?

    Particularly interested in BJJ, but also in Judo too.

    Is paying for gradings the done thing, or does it indicate a greedy dojo?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Wales, Rhondda Valleys
    Posts
    950

    Default

    I know my nephew has recently pass his black belt in shotokan karate, and they had to pay something like 80 for his grading, and they also had to buy their own belt!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    9,171

    Default

    I pay in hard work, does that count?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I pay in hard work, does that count?
    Nope, I'm talkin 'bout cash money!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I pay in hard work, does that count?
    If you can show a study that proves hard work can be used as legal tender when paying for a belt promotion
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

    General badmotherfucker.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Particularly interested in BJJ, but also in Judo too.

    Is paying for gradings the done thing, or does it indicate a greedy dojo?
    To pass a more senior judo grading you need to win fights. This means that the grading officer needs a venue, contest area, score boards, first aid etc to hold a grading. I don't think that it is greedy for competitors to be charged to enter such a gradings.

  7. #7

    Default

    We paid for gradings in my karate club but it was a very small amount, only to pay for the gas and meals of the grader, they usually came from out of town.

  8. #8
    Moderator ross90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    2,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Williams View Post
    If you can show a study that proves hard work can be used as legal tender when paying for a belt promotion
    Haha!

    On another note, its apparently rather common in the mcdojo scene. But in BJJ I think its pretty rare. Unless they're a money grabbing gym.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

  9. #9

    Default

    Before I joined my BJJ gym, I asked about this. They told me that I wouldn't have to pay for being promoted.

    However, now after being there for over 2 months, I have found out that to be graded, it must be at a seminar held by "Lagarto"..which costs 20 to attend. So I'm starting to wonder..."wait a minute..I think this means they are charging people 20 each to be graded" .. personally, I strongly disagree with this..I think you should be promoted when it is deserved...not by how much cash you have.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dion View Post
    Before I joined my BJJ gym, I asked about this. They told me that I wouldn't have to pay for being promoted.

    However, now after being there for over 2 months, I have found out that to be graded, it must be at a seminar held by "Lagarto"..which costs 20 to attend. So I'm starting to wonder..."wait a minute..I think this means they are charging people 20 each to be graded" .. personally, I strongly disagree with this..I think you should be promoted when it is deserved...not by how much cash you have.
    Have you asked about this? If you genuinely couldn't attend the seminar due to other commitments would it mean you wouldn't be graded when you next came to the gym? I like gradings. They are a great way of being rewarded and recognised for all your hard work. They are also a good way for academies to make a few quid and retain students too though. There's noting inherently wrong with that, but I have a healthy cynicism regarding them nonetheless.
    Last edited by Iconoclast; 06-03-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.