Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who does or has paid for a grading?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dion View Post
    Before I joined my BJJ gym, I asked about this. They told me that I wouldn't have to pay for being promoted.

However, now after being there for over 2 months, I have found out that to be graded, it must be at a seminar held by "Lagarto"..which costs 20 to attend. So I'm starting to wonder..."wait a minute..I think this means they are charging people 20 each to be graded" .. personally, I strongly disagree with this..I think you should be promoted when it is deserved...not by how much cash you have.
    Do you train under Lagarto regularly, or only at seminars?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

For Judo you also have to pay a yearly subscription to a governing body, in my case Judo Scotland.

I haven't graded in 3 years. Going to this year though. Brown for year end.
    Last edited by piratebrido; 07-03-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by piratebrido View Post
    For Judo you also have to pay a yearly subscription to a governing body, in my case Judo Scotland.

I haven't graded in 3 years. Going to this year though. Brown for year end.
    When you say you're going to grade this year, what exactly does grading consist of?

So it's not like BJJ then, when your instructor can give you your belt at anytime?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    When you say you're going to grade this year, what exactly does grading consist of?

So it's not like BJJ then, when your instructor can give you your belt at anytime?
    You require points to grade for green belt and above (at least in Scotland anyway). 30 points (win three matches basically) between the belts till brown, and then 100 points for black.

You also have to pass a theory exam, where you are asked to demonstrate techniques. Each belt has different techniques and combinations.

bjj you dont pay for gradings iv known loads of guys just spar advanced fighters if they do good they get the belt or stripes but a brazilian has to grade you
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle, The mind is like a parachute -- it works best when it is open." - Rickson Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by piratebrido View Post
    You require points to grade for green belt and above (at least in Scotland anyway). 30 points (win three matches basically) between the belts till brown, and then 100 points for black.

You also have to pass a theory exam, where you are asked to demonstrate techniques. Each belt has different techniques and combinations.
    Oh right, these three matches you must win, do they have to be in a competition or can they be at the dojo against other people who are also trying to grade?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Oh right, these three matches you must win, do they have to be in a competition or can they be at the dojo against other people who are also trying to grade?
    Can be at competition. You have a grading card that records you points. Hand this in along with your licence at the start of the tournament and they should put the points down for you.

Ok cheers. Interesting stuff. Seems very formal.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Have you asked about this? If you genuinely couldn't attend the seminar due to other commitments would it mean you wouldn't be graded when you next came to the gym? I like gradings. They are a great way of being rewarded and recognised for all your hard work. They are also a good way for academies to make a few quid and retain students too though. There's noting inherently wrong with that, but I have a healthy cynicism regarding them nonetheless.
    I have just been told by the man in charge of the academy that they don't do the whole grading pay thing. So I was misinformed about it. So ignore what I wrote before. I'm relieved about that as I'm skint at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Do you train under Lagarto regularly, or only at seminars?
    I've not trained under him before. I believe that he is down in London at RGA. I train under Lucio Sergio.