Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draining Ears

Default Draining Ears

I've got Cauli forming in one of my ears and i'm pretty concerned about this because as much as it's a badge of honour it also makes for some nasty looking appendages to my head.

What's the best way to do this?

I spoke to the doctor and he say give it a week and take some ibuprofen to reduce the inflamation etc. But i'm reading about it and it seems that if i leave it too long it will harden up and then I'm done for.

Should I drain it myself. Where do I get a syringe from. What type of syringe do I get. Should I insist the doctor do it regardless of his reservations? I need a good guide as i'm completely in the dark.

Also where's a good place to buy headgear. I've heard CK Tornado's are the best, but i don't know where to get them from.

Ideally, you want to deal with a cauli asap. Was the doctor your GP or was it in A and E? If there's a minor injuries unit near you, that would be a good place to go or a and e. Get them to drain it and pack it tight and don't go straight back to training the next day because it will probably refill. If I were you, I would insist on the doctor doing it. Telling them it's just happened might be a good idea.

If you really want to drain it yourself (which I wouldn't recommend) you can get syringes from a pharmacy. Sometimes they have them in packs for holidays to places where there arent sterile needles. Alternatively, you could go to a needle exchange and pretend to be a junkie! Small needle/syringe is fine. NEVER EVER REUSE A NEEDLE, even if it's only been used on yourself.

You need to make sure the area is super clean. Use alcohol to clean it well. The ear is mostly cartilage so it has a poor blood supply and is at high risk of infection. After it has been drained, you need to pack it really tight. Put some rolled up gauze in the area and bandage your ear to your head to keep lots of pressure on. You need to give it at least a few days before training, then wear a headguard for at least a couple of weeks.

The docs can do a better job than you, you should get them to do it sooner rather than later. They might offer you local anaesthetic, but it's not really that painful. Actually the anaestheitc injection is probably as painful.

Alternatively, leave it and look like a hard bastard!

Good luck.
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

I got the Brute Shockwave earguard after someone recommened it at my gym and it seems to do a decent job. CKA have them in stock but I think they've been discontinued so you'd have to move quick: http://www.ckamartialartssupplies.co...roducts_id=705

Cheers KCG for the recommendation

Hi Roche

Only got Yellow and Black Left and they are running out fast ~ if you want one make sure to use the " cage warriors " code at the check out for your 10% discount

no way you see the problem is you drain it but it will come back when you spar again unless you have a headguard on all the time.

it all depends on what your life choices are, if this sport is your life and your making money out of it then a cauli ear is ok but if your big on work and you have to look your best then assess weather its worth it or not and is there a possibility you may have trouble in your job
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle, The mind is like a parachute -- it works best when it is open." - Rickson Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonk!! View Post
    no way you see the problem is you drain it but it will come back when you spar again unless you have a headguard on all the time.
    If you drain it properly and give it time to heal, it might come back but it probably won't. I've had mine drained a few times and only once has it come back (and that was only a little bit). You can't see my caulis but you can just about feel them and I never wear a headguard. So long as you get them treated promptly, you can at least avoid them being noticeable.

If one keeps coming back, you can have the skin stitched to the cartilage of the ear to keep it from refilling.

Ever so slightly mental illegalhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    I got the Brute Shockwave earguard after someone recommened it at my gym and it seems to do a decent job. CKA have them in stock but I think they've been discontinued so you'd have to move quick: http://www.ckamartialartssupplies.co...roducts_id=705

I got my collie wearing one of these.
    They guy who invented Burpees , is a secret child molester

Man up and drain that fucker.

Go to any chemist and ask for a steriod pack. They give you a sealed bag with 10 needles/syringes in it.

Wipe ear with alcohol wipe. Get towel to catch fluid. Insert needle in the fat part of the ear and the fluid will piss out.

Then if not painfull give the ear a squeeze and get rid of all the juice.

Wipe again with alcohol wipe and dress.

We had a guy in our gym and I used to do his weekly.

Captain America is my Dad mickclark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Man up and drain that fucker.

Go to any chemist and ask for a steriod pack. They give you a sealed bag with 10 needles/syringes in it.

Wipe ear with alcohol wipe. Get towel to catch fluid. Insert needle in the fat part of the ear and the fluid will piss out.

Then if not painfull give the ear a squeeze and get rid of all the juice.

Wipe again with alcohol wipe and dress.

A steroid pack? How much is one of those?
    Meh...........

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post

If you had to do it weekly, why didn't he go and get it sorted by a doctor? Would have been a lot less hassle!