Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Work Today!

Quote Originally Posted by 1inchPonch View Post
    I hate when people call me "mate". A guy i'd just employed called me mate on his first day and I told him that if he ever did it again he would be collecting his P45. I especially hate it when people i've never met before call me mate. I've never fucking met them, how can I be their mate?
    I call people mate all the time. Can't imagine why you could be so annoyed by something so minor.

Obviously I wouldn't call a client in work "mate" though, lol.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Banned

Well... you would get some calls from people from banks , big companies ect.. who would talk posh ect.. so i would talk posh back.

THen get some chavvy people who are like noww mateee, so i thought i'd talk like that back! lol

Quote Originally Posted by pauljono1120 View Post
    Well... it's well hard, when you get them chatting to you, then the staff asking me what they should do.

I'm no fucking expert!

I was expecting a nice computer, do abit of typing filing, maybe answer 1 or 2 calls.

Not sit from 9-4pm answering the phone writing down bullshit pretending im well interested in soliciting! If I wanted to answer calls and do nothing else I would of applied to a call centre.

To be fair mate, most jobs are boring, unless your a lion tamer that is!

However its called work and if your a business admin person, thats just fancy talk for receptionist!

Somedays all i do is answer the phone and take site questions, and some days i get to do my job which is cool, but most days its a combo of both!

Just try and be proffesional on the phone, be patient with people, and ask questions, they wont think your stupid for asking questions! They will however think your stupid if you dont ask questions and do things like put the phone down on people when you dont know the answer!

What exactly defines "talking posh";

People who speak properly = talking posh?
    Certain accents = talking posh?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I call people mate all the time. Can't imagine why you could be so annoyed by something so minor.

Obviously I wouldn't call a client in work "mate" though, lol.
    I don't know why either, it just annoys me. Maybe it's because i'm a dick.

Up here you get all sorts of variations on the mate theme. Pal, buddy, bud, big man etc. They all annoy me.

Im struggling to find words.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Banned

Idk, it's just im not used to speaking to people on the phone using polite/posh type words.

Thats supposed to be part of my training but they flung me right into the deep end assuming i already know everything about admin!

Paul, if you want to make money then you have to play the game. Talking posh, acting interested and doing what you're asked to do no matter how boring are all part of the game. Once you get higher up the ladder you can start being yourself a bit more.

There seems to be a "posh" theme here when referring to phone manner, or talking properly, in a proffesional situation. Its a work trial, to see if you have ther brains to act in a proper manner when addressing people, can handle a little bit of pressure, or an office situation (because lets face it, business admin is office work i would say 100% of the time) Just different variations of it.

In a soliciters, you will have the banks and business clients calling, but also sharon from the estate, whos getting a divorce, or barry whos filing a whiplash claim. The day to day people may well call you mate, But you are "proffesional" in their eyes, so behave accordingly.

It sounds like they were testing you somewhat, to see how you handled it in the deep end. Without somebody holding your hand, it is a work trial. How do they know that the person on the other end of the phone was being informal and "chatty" All they could here was you calling a client "mate"

I thought it was common sense, but apparently not. IF there is a chance at all you better buck your ideas up tommorow and speak properly to clients, have a phone manner, polite. Not yes mate, ok mate no problem mate. Please stop saying posh as well, its not speaking posh, its properly, people sound like fuckin street urchins when they refer to the correct way of speaking as being "posh"

Sort it paul, everyone wants to see you do well but your doing yourself no favours matey.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Banned

I guess i'll stick to it, get more practice on the phone.

Only there 2 days a week anyways 9-5pm.