Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training with injury

Default Training with injury

im looking at training bjj but got a tear in 1 if my ligament in knee,im ok when doing boxing training but not 2 sure if ok to start doing bjj,im having op at end of year but would like to start learning ,do u rec i should leave it till after the op or would i be ok 2 start off now.Wot bjj clubs are in manchester area as im from middleton

Quote Originally Posted by prolp View Post
    im looking at training bjj but got a tear in 1 if my ligament in knee,im ok when doing boxing training but not 2 sure if ok to start doing bjj,im having op at end of year but would like to start learning ,do u rec i should leave it till after the op or would i be ok 2 start off now.Wot bjj clubs are in manchester area as im from middleton
    Good luck champ.Start training now as long as you don't injure yourself further.

Don't do it. wait if you can.
    whenever i get an injury i'm always too keen to get back training and make it worse. i tore a tendant in my calf (tier 1), doctors said leave it two weeks, went back after 5 days, turned it into a tier 2 out for a month. did same with my thumb, broke it, went back to train 3 days later made it worse. kept going with it 2 months later still hurts whereas doctor said it should be fine in 2 weeks. the moral of the story is "if you can wait, do so, you'll only make it worse. listen to the doctor they are the cleverest minds, who spend 4 years at uni and then countless hours dealing with patients, they know best."

Quote Originally Posted by prolp View Post
    Wot bjj clubs are in manchester area as im from middleton
    There's a few. Go and take a look at Gracie Barra. I think it is based in thr Eccles area.

Whether or not it's a good idea to train depends on which ligament is torn, how badly and how it is affecting you. The doctor taking care of your knee should be able to tell you if it's safe to train as you are or not. If surgery is needed, the chances are it's pretty severe.

You need to balance how much you can gain by training between now and your operation against the risk of doing more damage. I had an ACL repair and went back to training too soon and tore my hamsting badly because it hadn't regained enough strength. I've ended up out of action MUCH longer than I needed to be.
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

I didn't realise that there were any decent BJJ or Judo guys who trained whilst FREE of injuries.

BJJ is tough on the knees, probably best to rehab first.

bridgewater mill, eccles is GB Manc, lucio sergio(1st degree black belt) does the classes.
    There is also Manchester jiu jitsu ran by steve campbell, a carlinhos jnr black belt.
    I think SBG packed it in?
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

GO!!!! Tell them you have this injury and although you dont want to spar you would like to learn and drill techniques! The guy who is matched with you when sparring could just also drill / help with techniques!

There is no reason why you cannot train safely with an injury! Helping people is what Martial arts is all about in my opinion.
    1st Dan Judo Black belt, BJJ practitioner, Welterweight Mixed Martial Artist available for ring and cage work.

vs-Gunnar Nelson aired on Bravo 21/02
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8evj...eature=related

Fight on Kayo MMA 22/11/09:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lS1qgUYXr0

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sammye View Post
    GO!!!! Tell them you have this injury and although you dont want to spar you would like to learn and drill techniques! The guy who is matched with you when sparring could just also drill / help with techniques!

There is no reason why you cannot train safely with an injury! Helping people is what Martial arts is all about in my opinion.
    Yep this is the right idea, you'll be in beginners anyway at gb manc so all you'll be doing is 80% technique, rather than any rolling, if you put it off you'll keep putting it off next thing you know you've missed out on years worth of training.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.