Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get 'a fight'?...

Default how to get 'a fight'?...

Hows it goin all,

hopefully i wont come across as too eager or out my depth..

I am looking to set myself a goal and to compete in mma (realistic / happy enough with amateur level)..

My question to you all is - how to get myself noticed at the gym?

The answer I know most people will say is "keep the head down, and train"..

But should I (after only 3/4 months of jiu jitsu, interclub boxing, in and out of thai boxing over the years) should I make myself known to the coach(s) at the mma class, and let it be known id like to compete?..

I say the mma class as no doubt like gyms everywhere nowadays, there are different coaches for different disciplines..

Is it better to pipe up and show im keen on stepping up my training, or just plod along on quietly in the hope i get asked?...

I will be completely honest though and say I can be a bit impatient, and can get dis-heartened if I feel im training with no reward / goal...

Im in no real rush though, I know my ground game has to improve, and would train as long as it takes, but im at a stage where I need a goal/ focus!..

Thought id post what my over-active brain was thinking ! and glad of opinions.

cheers

let it be known that thats what you want to do as soon as possible so that you can alter your training and dont fall into bad habits. a good stance for boxing for instance would be a massive flaw when it comes to mma, you'll get your leg ripped off or get taken down at will, so it needs adapting

Echo the above.

Good coaches can spot potential talent fairly well. Then they tend to just watch and see whether that potential is developing into the talent they thought they saw.

It can't hurt to let them know you have that ambition (as long as you don't come on way over the top as some of the young lads tend to do), but then you'll still have to knuckle down and let them see what you've got.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

From your post it sounds like you train with a fairly large group so i'd guess asking your coach would be your best bet as with a large group there is less chance of getting noticed but put in 110% and your time will come

Banned

Just sit on cage warriors all day talking complete shit, maybe do a bit of sponging, and your well on your way to winning your first fight.

"this worked for me, so i reccomend it to anyone!"

Quote Originally Posted by pauljono1120 View Post
    Just sit on cage warriors all day talking complete shit, maybe do a bit of sponging, and your well on your way to winning your first fight.

"this worked for me, so i reccomend it to anyone!"
    Or that will work lmao
    Team Machine
    Am 1-0
    Semi 0-0

turn up in a mankini that'll get ya noticed
    30% Discount on Dianabol When you enter promotional code : R01DR4GE at bouncecup.com

or u cld allways register and compete at events like the mma league its a am event with no head shots rgister then tell the coachs :P
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

Quote Originally Posted by NoGiCorbarian View Post
    or u cld allways register and compete at events like the mma league its a am event with no head shots rgister then tell the coachs :P
    I'd go halfway between doing nothing and this advice....

Go to your trainer/coach and say "I was thinking about putting my name down for a fight on *** at ***, would you be prepared to corner me, what do you think?" and see what their response is.

If they laugh heartily then I would suggest you are really not ready at all, unless you are awful then if they are anything less than supportive then I would be less than impressed!

If you want to compete, don't sit around waiting to get noticed, hint hint and hint!
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

A straightforward honest conversation with your coach is the way forward.

"I'm hoping to fight MMA - what do I need to do to get there?"
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation