Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to be STRONG to be TIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by widge milward View Post
    another question, i tend to "flow" more than having a tight top game.

Do you think its easy enough to change your top game style?
    I think so,

Just get a good training partner and drill being tight.

Once you feel happy add it into your rolling and see how you get on.

If it still isnt working go back and drill what is not working. When you grapple someone who can switch between a tight game and flow game its a nightmare
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

Quote Originally Posted by widge milward View Post
    another question, i tend to "flow" more than having a tight top game.

Do you think its easy enough to change your top game style?
    Yes. 'Flowing' is often an excuse to be loose. I never had much of a top game for a long time, but I've improved a lot since before, and the key thing I've found is getting your whole body to work together and driving into your opponent. Your head has to be in the right place applying pressure, your shoulder has to be, and your hips have to be tight on them as well. With all of that right, you have all the time in the world to counter their movements. But if even one component is off, then the rest falls apart.

What I found worked to begin with, at least from side control, is ensuring that your hip bone is on them at all times whether in normal side, scarf or reverse scarf, and really sink your hip through them, whilst using your underhook arm (on the far side) to really pull them to you. You'd be amazed how much more pressure you can exert that way. Try it out?

Take care,

Stalks
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    Yes. 'Flowing' is often an excuse to be loose. I never had much of a top game for a long time, but I've improved a lot since before, and the key thing I've found is getting your whole body to work together and driving into your opponent. Your head has to be in the right place applying pressure, your shoulder has to be, and your hips have to be tight on them as well. With all of that right, you have all the time in the world to counter their movements. But if even one component is off, then the rest falls apart.

What I found worked to begin with, at least from side control, is ensuring that your hip bone is on them at all times whether in normal side, scarf or reverse scarf, and really sink your hip through them, whilst using your underhook arm (on the far side) to really pull them to you. You'd be amazed how much more pressure you can exert that way. Try it out?

Take care,

Stalks
    nice piece there oli..

this thread has gotten me thinking..i need to DRILL!!!

For what it's worth, I never drilled top pressure at all.

To be honest, I don't really drill anything. I just train a lot, sometimes focusing on specific techniques.

...but hey! ^_-

Take care,

Stalks

For what it's worth, I never drilled top pressure at all.

To be honest, I don't really drill anything. I just train a lot, sometimes focusing on specific techniques.

...but hey! ^_-

Take care,

Stalks
    Well if your focusing on specific techniques is that not a form of drilling?

Serious question lol

I wouldn't count something as drilling if the other person is fully resisting. Drilling always has some degree of compliance from your partner.

Or so I would define it, anyway. @_@

I wouldn't count something as drilling if the other person is fully resisting. Drilling always has some degree of compliance from your partner.

Or so I would define it, anyway. @_@
    Good point,

However i would say if you are going for the same thing over and over again it is a form of drilling.

Its hard to say regarding resistance because sometime you might drill passing someones guard with them resististing 100%. Even though they are trying to stop you it is still working specfic situations.

I would refer to that as training, since the exact position will always vary. In the same way, I may be trying to nail the same sweep from half-guard for a whole session, but I will never use EXACTLY the same entry, because everyone defends differently. We're training generally, I'm choosing to work on that sweep and trying to get to it as often as possible, whilst the other guy is just trying to beat me up.

Otherwise, you might as well call rolling drilling, since you're drilling a lot of different things at once, in a mish-mash of things you're working on, no?

This is just a terminology argument, really. ^_-

Take care,

Stalks

steve_langford

I dont think being strong would make a difference. My mrs isnt very strong at all but shes nice and tight.