Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting your own mma gym

Default Starting your own mma gym

A mate of mine looking at starting his own gym.could anyone give us advise how 2 get it going,info on insurances anf what u need 2 get up a running.

Not wishing to sound rude but the ability to do their own research and business plan would be a good starting point. If they need to ask either you for help or the guys on this forum, they are probably not ready to set out and run a successful MMA gym as its hard work and needs the right skills. We spent 6 months researching and setting up our gym and getting the right insurance, instructors, risk assessments and equipment in place and we have 15 years of martial arts experience (including MMA specifically), business and management experience between us.

Most guys transition to setting up their own place after training elsewhere either as an instructor or as a successful student and competitor. During that time they will have already formed good realtionships with insurers and suppliers and have a business plan and budget in place.

Whilst I'm sure its not the case with your mate so dont take offence, I will be honest and say nothing bugs me more than people trying to cash in on the growing success of MMA and opening a gym to make money without any of the right experience or instructors behind them and then ripping their student off delivering poor quality techniques and potential dangerous classes or instruction.
    http://www.godsofwarmma.com/
    MMA, Grappling and Kickboxing classes in Reading Berkshire

Does a mma vet of 28 fights ,2 time british thai boxing champ sound ok 2 start coaching .the only reason I put the thread is 2 get advise 4 him.so if got nowt helpful 2 say don't reply

How is the reply above from Martial Arts Kitten not helpful?!

I thought that was pretty sound advice, stop sulking!
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by pow3r View Post
    Does a mma vet of 28 fights ,2 time british thai boxing champ sound ok 2 start coaching .the only reason I put the thread is 2 get advise 4 him.so if got nowt helpful 2 say don't reply
    Who is your friend then ?

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Not that i want to start a gym, but i thought that was cracking FREE advice, I would take it all on board mate. He took the time to reply at least!

Be grateful and pass on the wise words, no need to get a bit....well.....lady like
    I don't believe in belts. There should be no ranking system for toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Arts kitten View Post
    Not wishing to sound rude but the ability to do their own research and business plan would be a good starting point. If they need to ask either you for help or the guys on this forum, they are probably not ready to set out and run a successful MMA gym as its hard work and needs the right skills. We spent 6 months researching and setting up our gym and getting the right insurance, instructors, risk assessments and equipment in place and we have 15 years of martial arts experience (including MMA specifically), business and management experience between us.

Most guys transition to setting up their own place after training elsewhere either as an instructor or as a successful student and competitor. During that time they will have already formed good realtionships with insurers and suppliers and have a business plan and budget in place.

Whilst I'm sure its not the case with your mate so dont take offence, I will be honest and say nothing bugs me more than people trying to cash in on the growing success of MMA and opening a gym to make money without any of the right experience or instructors behind them and then ripping their student off delivering poor quality techniques and potential dangerous classes or instruction.

Very Good Advice.
    Opening a Gym is a very lengthy process, Needing so much hard word and a lot of Research on your own part as setting Gyms up in any two places will most likely encounter different risks/problems ..etc..

A Business plan would be the very first place to start in my opinion and work on from there.

You'll do well to take MAK's advice on board!

GG

To be honest, I think this could be a very informative thread! great start, just wish he had not gone a bit mardy.
    I don't believe in belts. There should be no ranking system for toughness.

I was trying to be helpful with my comment hence the quote below

Whilst I'm sure its not the case with your mate so don't take offence
    Still I stand by the fact that anyone thinking about setting up their own gym should logically have made a list and set out a budget. I would also add that not all fighters make good coaches again not a comment aimed at the guy above. I also know many that can compete and coach.

I work full time as well as running the business side of the gym so I clock up a good 60-70 hours a week between jobs as well as trying to fit my own training in. My partner coaches at the gym full time and we sacrifice evenings and weekends taking only 1 week a year off as holiday. If we didnt split the responsibilities, he would struggle to keep up his own Pro Career and dedicate 30 hours a week to his own training.

From talking to people with other successful full time MMA gyms you have to be prepared to give up a lot but the rewards of seeing our fight team doing so well, and our classes being so full of people who seem to genuinely get a lot out of the sessions makes it all worth it. We are investing everything back in to expand at the moment which is exciting. I love it and wouldnt change much (except the chance for a lie in ever once in a while).

I have found our Business Banking Manager to be really helpful. If you dont have a business & health and safety background its also worth trying to find someone who can help you to make sure you have eveything covered. Even an evening class in running a samll business may be the difference between success and failure in the first 2 years.
    http://www.godsofwarmma.com/
    MMA, Grappling and Kickboxing classes in Reading Berkshire

Quote Originally Posted by pow3r View Post
    I'm no pro at setting anything up, but I'm pretty sure having the right attitude helps as well