Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesent rickson gracie write a book or do an instructional?

Default Why doesent rickson gracie write a book or do an instructional?

After looking at one of the guys post about rickson seminar in u.s being £200. I thought he seems a very good teacher and i'm sure he would like to write about his philosophy, diet , yoga and jiu jitsu etc. A bit like bruce lee writing 'the art of expressing the human body etc.

We all on this forum love jiu jitsu and i'm sure we would all be pre ordering a book by the man him self. Doesent rickson owe it too us?

Just wondered thats all. Any you guys ever thought that?

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

For some reason it had just never occurred to me. Has he never published anything at all ?

As you say it would be swallowed up immediately by the BJJ community

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bishop View Post
    For some reason it had just never occurred to me. Has he never published anything at all ?

As you say it would be swallowed up immediately by the BJJ community
    To be honest mate the only things ive ever found were some 1980 seminar thats poor quality and basically just about like self defence etc more of intro to jiu jitsu.

I think it would go down a storm because i imagine it would be very concept based. Again i think he has a duty too because it can't jus be my secret jiu jitsu thats just for family and freinds. Lets hope his son kron does something in years to come...

Imangine having a 400 hundred page book where rickson shares all his moves and secrets lol oh and anyone know who taught him or where does his style come from?
    Last edited by akiraB; 12-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akiraB View Post
    After looking at one of the guys post about rickson seminar in u.s being £200. I thought he seems a very good teacher and i'm sure he would like to write about his philosophy, diet , yoga and jiu jitsu etc. A bit like bruce lee writing 'the art of expressing the human body etc.

We all on this forum love jiu jitsu and i'm sure we would all be pre ordering a book by the man him self. Doesent rickson owe it too us?

Just wondered thats all. Any you guys ever thought that?
    Cos he's old school and not into all these modern 'cool' things like blogs, instructionals, magazine deals and all that shit. I should think he'd rather kep it all in the family. I can respect that. Rickson is Rickson. Rickson by Armbar. That's all you need to know. He doesn't owe anyone anything!

Supposedly he's said that he doesn't feel that jiu-jitsu can be properly taught via DVD or book, it has to be taught in person either in class or seminars. Relson's said similar things too I think.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Cos he's old school and not into all these modern 'cool' things like blogs, instructionals, magazine deals and all that shit. I should think he'd rather kep it all in the family. I can respect that. Rickson is Rickson. Rickson by Armbar. That's all you need to know. He doesn't owe anyone anything!

The Emperorís New Clothes i think a lot of people should read that book

I love that story.I think it tells us that the world is full of bullshit.we see that but we don't want to admit it.It's really saying we should be honest with each other even though that's tough.The cult of the celeb (posh spice,beckam,jordan ect)is the emperor's new cloths in action.There's nothing there but we all have to say "aren't they wonderful and interesting". You get the picture!

You know what i hope rickson is great because i would be the first one to train with him given the chance but i just don't get it that great sportsman in other sports seem to be well documented. From Ali to Gary kasporof..

(p.s i havn't been training for few days so forgive me if i sound pissed off)
    Last edited by akiraB; 12-03-2010 at 10:43 PM.

okay Rickson hater, if thinking like that makes you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tapsalot View Post
    Supposedly he's said that he doesn't feel that jiu-jitsu can be properly taught via DVD or book, it has to be taught in person either in class or seminars. Relson's said similar things too I think.

James
    Thats what I heard too.

Rickson also said "you cant see or hear jj but only feel it"..... something to that description.

I think also I heard the videos Rorion put out years ago was a bone of contention between the two.

Perhaps he enjoys the mystical status that he has and the pedestal he's been put on? Maybe he revels in the lionisation of the Rickson legend? But deep down however, perhaps he knows that no human being could be as good as people think he is?

Perhaps he doesn't want to be exposed? That's not to say he isn't an awesome BJJ practitioner. It's just that when reading up on him and hearing the way some people talk about him on forums etc, many people have him down as some sort of God. That's a lot of pressure to live up to.

*Puts on flameproof jacket and hides*