Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know that ideally you should wash your gi straight after training.......

Default I know that ideally you should wash your gi straight after training.......

....... but let's say it wouldn't be possible to wash it until the next evening?

Does anyone have any tips on how to minimize the chances of the sweat gaining a proper hold on the fabric and making it a permanently stinky gi?

I was thinking steep it in warm water perhaps until the next evening when it can go into the washing machine perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    ....... but let's say it wouldn't be possible to wash it until the next evening?

Does anyone have any tips on how to minimize the chances of the sweat gaining a proper hold on the fabric and making it a permanently stinky gi?

I was thinking steep it in warm water perhaps until the next evening when it can go into the washing machine perhaps?
    Hang it out to dry or drape it over a radiator. It will be fine. I can get two sessions out of a gi in the winter. (less likely in a sweaty summer session)

Also if you go to training clean and odour free (as one should) the gi will also be in a less smelly condition.

Wear a shirt under the gi.

Bi-carp gets smells/tastes out of anything. Maybe you could soak it in that i dunno.

My mouthguard tasted of blood hideously bad, from when i broke my nose gettting KTFO and filled it with blood.

Bicarb has it tasting normal again
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

Y dont u just get a big bucket and fill it with water, non smelly dettol lol or washing powder befour u go training so when u get back u can put ur gi to soak till u wash it.
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

If you normally wash it straight after every time you wear it then I don't think having to wait every now and then will hurt much. None of my gis have ever started to smell (some are 5 years old now) and although I've usually washed them straight away, it's always been on 30 and I've often not been able to wash them until the next morning.

Should always wash your gi after every use though.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post

Buy another gi... why would your gi become permanently stinky? I have 4 gi's which I think is about one too many.
    I wash em in 50-60 degrees usually, and I really cannot see anyone so stinky that 60 degrees wouldnt get the funk out of a gi.

If youre one of those ppl that sweat buckets maybe you should try n wear a rash under the gi and put it out to air over night. I can wear my gis 2-3 times if I just put it on a hanger and let it air on the balcony over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    Buy another gi... why would your gi become permanently stinky?
    I have two already, that's not the problem. The problem is that I don't have access to a washing machine at present (long story don't ask) so I have to wait until the next day to use the one at work.

What I'm afraid of is if it's left for up to 24 hours without being washed, it might end up with that horrible stale B.O. smell that sweaty clothes get if they're not washed straight away.

I'm looking for ways of preventing this from happening. Some good suggestions here though, thanks.

I can wear my gis 2-3 times if I just put it on a hanger and let it air on the balcony over night.
    Are you saying that you don't wash your gi after every session? I've heard it said that you often can't actually smell your own body odour. You might be your dojos Mr Stinky man and not even know it?

Jump in the shower after training with it and hang it out after? I do this with rashies sometimes so get the gymstink off them.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasmma View Post
    Jump in the shower after training with it and hang it out after? I do this with rashies sometimes so get the gymstink off them.
    Good idea, but I train at Carlsons. We don't have showers. We shower when we get home. Showers take up too much valuable mat space.