Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know that ideally you should wash your gi straight after training.......

I hang em on the radiator, where the heat quickly dries it, bacteria then have no moisture in which to perpetuate and create foul smelling by products. Then wash when next convenient. Helps to have 12 gis in rotation though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

You should always wash your gi after every training session and never wear it twice, it is not about the smell (although that is unpleasant too) it is about all of the bacteria on your gi which can cause all sorts of nasty skin conditions.

Iconoclast - along with airing your gi when you get home, what I find works is putting a tumbledryer sheet in your kit bag (go for one of the better brands though like bounce, tesco own brand isn't strong enough) helps with both the smell of your gi and the smell of your kitbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post

Are you saying that you don't wash your gi after every session?
    Yes..... yes that is exactly what I am saying. I'd guess the majority of the ppl I train with do not wash it after every session probably more like once every 3 sessions; and no it doesn't bother anyone. Like previously stated, if let your gi dry straight away it should be fine.

Personally I am ok with my GI not smelling like an ocean of flowers constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    Iconoclast - along with airing your gi when you get home, what I find works is putting a tumbledryer sheet in your kit bag (go for one of the better brands though like bounce, tesco own brand isn't strong enough) helps with both the smell of your gi and the smell of your kitbag.
    Damn, I had to google what a tumble dryer sheet actually was. I didn't know. That actually sounds like it could genuinely help.

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkatsu View Post
    I hang em on the radiator, where the heat quickly dries it, bacteria then have no moisture in which to perpetuate and create foul smelling by products. Then wash when next convenient. Helps to have 12 gis in rotation though
    But are you saying that if you dry it without washing it, the smell of sweat won't embed itself into the fabric? I was under the impression that it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    Yes..... yes that is exactly what I am saying. I'd guess the majority of the ppl I train with do not wash it after every session probably more like once every 3 sessions; and no it doesn't bother anyone. Like previously stated, if let your gi dry straight away it should be fine.

Personally I am ok with my GI not smelling like an ocean of flowers constantly.
    Are you sure it doesn't bother anyone?

TBH it's something I'm a little paranoid about. I'm almost obsessive about my gi not smelling bad. Occasionally you come across people on both sides of the fence. Some are particularly stinky, and some are particularly sensitive to stinkiness.

I have sometimes overheard occasional bitching sessions at various places I've trained about how glad everyone is that 'THAT GUY' with the stinky gi doesn't come anymore.

I'd really hate to be 'THAT GUY'.

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

Darkne$s is the best smelling man you ever did smelt.

But are you saying that if you dry it without washing it, the smell of sweat won't embed itself into the fabric? I was under the impression that it would.
    Sweat itself has no odour but it contains compounds that bacteria feed on and the bacterial by-products cause the smell. But bacteria need water/liquid for this to occur, even a tiny amount will do.
    So to avoid stinky gi, you need to 1. Kill bacteria, 2. Dry gi out thoroughly (either before or after the actual wash).
    Check your washing machine too -build of sludge etc in the detergent draw and drum can be stinky which transfers to your clothing. You can buy washing machine cleansers for this.
    Finally all else fails, buy a new gi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

What a non issue..

Next time you train, put the gi on a heater as soon as you can. When you wake up the next day, give it a sniff... easy.
    I'm sure it'll be fine.

And believe you me, if you stunk I would tell you and I'm sure your team mates would do the same.

The longer your gi stays in the bag the stinkier it gets really, the faster it dries the better.

Good idea, but I train at Carlsons. We don't have showers. We shower when we get home. Showers take up too much valuable mat space.
    I rolled with a couple of guys from Carlsons at the London open this year, and I suspected that you didnt have any showers, ( Im joking before you all hunt me down and do unspeakable things to me).
    I normally wear my gi twice, (as long as it doesnt get too dirty or get blood on it), after the first wear it hangs over night to dry ready for the next day. I shower twice a day so Im not a stinker, as long as your clean your gi isnt gonna stink, unless you roll with some real filthy people you should be alright.