Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pyjama Game

Default The Pyjama Game

Has anyone read this book?

Wassit like, good?

What about Syd Hoare's "A-Z of Judo"?
    Last edited by Malcontent; 14-03-2010 at 11:25 PM.

The Pyjama Game is very good, not least as a beginner(like me)'s introduction to the big personalities of judo, from the uk and abroad. ↲

Bjj-friendly, it also recounts the legendary battle at the budokwai between roger gracie and nakamura (olympic gold medallist) when neither knew who the other were. I have heard simon hayes describe it too, but unfortunately neither he nor the author will give away the out come...

Also worth buying to read Steve Gawthorpe's riposte to being told that his oppnent had 'died' and been rescusitated from a choke.

Nice one. I'm not much of a book reader to be honest, but I'm having a quiet spell at work and I need something to help pass the time.

I've got in on order.

It's pretty good, nice history of Judo and chapters on some of the big names of Judo through the years, though I found the parts where the author discusses his own journey through Judo weak in comparison. Angry White Pyjamas is as much better read imo.

James

Agree with Sir Taps, great intro to history of judo to voyeurs like me, but the whole self discovery journey is a bit boring, I mean, you could read any one of a thousand boring blogs to get that kinda stuff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

Syd Hoare's "A-Z of Judo" is imo a very good book indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    The Pyjama Game is very good, not least as a beginner(like me)'s introduction to the big personalities of judo, from the uk and abroad.

Bjj-friendly, it also recounts the legendary battle at the budokwai between roger gracie and nakamura (olympic gold medallist) when neither knew who the other were. I have heard simon hayes describe it too, but unfortunately neither he nor the author will give away the out come...
    Roger and Nakamura rolled more than once, I saw one (not the one Simon saw i think) & in comparison with how Roger spars with braulio, lagarto etc (as well as various RGA students of course), he did not seem to me to be sparring with any sort of real intensity. I could not comment on any aspect of Kenzo's newaza game apart from his turtling technique either.

If it had been Margarida or a "less polite" bjj player instead of Roger that could have been interesting.

As a general statement, in a serious newaza spar, Roger would submit any prime world and olympic judo champion from history and that would i guess include a retired world and olympic judo champion >= 25kg lighter and 8 years older than him such as Kenzo.

Guess what, in serious randori, they would all throw him for revenge

How would they do in Chess, can't tell.

I rolled with Kenzo and had no idea who he was and he beat me up. Asking someone on the sidelines later if "he" was any good elicited a peal of laughter and a recap of Kenzo's resume.

The author has an interesting turn of phrase and i think his book is well worth a read but yes some parts are better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Has anyone read this book?

Wassit like, good?
    I enjoyed it. As mentioned, good coverage of judo history, written by an experienced journalist. Lots of entertaining anecdotes too, covering a broad period. I also like that he devoted a fair bit of space to top female judoka. My full review here.

Angry White Pyjamas (reviewed that here) is also good, though he does make some very bizarre errors about the UFC and BJJ, saying that the Gracie family went to Japan in order to learn jiu jitsu, and that UFC 3 was held in Tokyo.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

I enjoyed it - a very good read.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Ok cheers folks. Amazon have dispatched it so I will be immersing myself in it very soon.