Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Thai section 'how do you condition your shins' lol

Hybrid View

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Default New Thai section 'how do you condition your shins' lol

Awesome new sub-forum
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

block kicks in training
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle, The mind is like a parachute -- it works best when it is open." - Rickson Gracie

Kick hard bags and pads with bare shins, start off lighter and gradually progress.

Light blocking and countering drills - bare shins
    only one will come back and that will be me!
    www.thaiboxingwales.com

I can feel my shins getting tougher as they're slowly not hurting or stinging as much when kicking.

I posted a question before on here and the advice was basically whats already been said on here. When doing padwork don't wear shin guards and kick them so its uncomfortable but not painful, and do the same on bags.

I've been doing it and it feels a lot better, I can kick the bag and pads a lot harder now without it hurting. Your shins will start to hurt the next day, but its nothing a nice warm bath can't handle.

Also possibly invest in some of this mate http://www.ckamartialartssupplies.co...roducts_id=976

Or tiger balm http://www.ckamartialartssupplies.co...roducts_id=959

^^Use sparingly, you will only make that mistake once with tiger balm lol.
    C.K.A Martial arts is doing free shipping at the minute as well, and theres a discount of 10% when you enter "cage warriors" code in at the checkout. However I believe its going up to 20% next week while he is away. C.K.A can you confirm?
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Quote Originally Posted by lee kru View Post
    Kick hard bags and pads with bare shins, start off lighter and gradually progress.

I still have some lumps on my shins from training with you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by lee kru View Post

Tried the bare shin high kick block yesterday, gradually built up the power of the kicks to see who'd call time first, the guy blocking or the guy kicking. We both had enough of blocking before givin in via kicking. Callin it "Kickin Chicken".

Done a load of body/low kicks on the bag too. felt good, sore with toes whippin round though.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thai-jitsu View Post
    Callin it "Kickin Chicken".
    haha this would make an awesome gameshow
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

I use a conditioning stick!

The way I did it was repeatedly kicking a heavy bag. I'm talking about kicking it A LOT; I'd go into Master Skens and kick that damn bag 100+ times each leg, every day.

At first, I was getting large lumps of fluid building up from when I'd hit with the wrong part of my shin, but repeated kicking gives you 2 benefits;

1) It conditions your shin

2) It teaches you good form and technique, as you'll realise how much it jurts when you kick with the wrong part of your leg, you'll make sure to find the right spot on your shinbone after that.

One thing you should NOT do is the old trick of rolling a rolling pin up and down your shin; that doesn't work and it damages your skin.

One thing you'll notice as a side effect of repeated kicking is you'll stop growing leg hair along the shinbone, so your legs (if hairy) will look like they have a combover!

also thinner pads when theyve conditioned a bit as they will condition your partners forearms aswell, many a time ive partnered with a pro and can feel his shins right through the pads..