Thread: Time for self development

Default Time for self development

Guys,

I thought that id put this in here as its something that i have been thinking about alot lately.

Now i attend training as often as possible - Basic class: a few techniques are taught, we drill then roll. But im wondering are there many guys on here that drill outside of class to develop their own game and is it necessary?
    Eg. Meet up with a mate and drill a new technique that you have been taught or have seen that you feel would slip nicely into 'your game'.

Is this necessary or is it a case of developing the techniques that you have through mat time and rolling. I know that both have benifits.

The more i roll and train, the more i am convinced that 'grappling arts' are simplier than i once thought and its about attempting perfection on a number of moves instead of knowing loads half assed.

Please correct me if im wrong.

It's definitely good to drill new stuff (and the basics)

Trouble is it's always tempting to just do sparring instead.

I believe Renzo said he still drills 100 armbars every day.

Thanks for reply dickie.

I can understand that it alot more fun to roll. But is drilling a requirement or is rollong more important?

Obviously i like to roll more than to drill. But sometimes its about what makes your skill set better.

Isnt it?

I think the best compromise is positional sparring.

That way you can work on new techniques in an alive manner.

For instance-

Sparring from half guard- A pass or sub is a win for the guy on top/a sweep,back take or sub is a win for the guy on bottom.

Or,to be really basic- Sparring 'escape from mount' or 'escape from the back'.
    One of Wilson's favourite's is 'escape from the armbar'.

All valuable tools in development.

I'd do it, but I'm not sure if I'd be doing the right technique, I'd probably miss a lot of details.

More you train and drill stuff the better, I'd agree. Also in sparring it's about trying to compromise your ego. Try out different techniques or fight from alternative positions where you may be more vulnerable rather than just go 100% smash all the time, spending 5 minutes jammed in someone's half guard or always doing the same thing isn't gonna teach you much.
    Last edited by Luke; 13-11-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Drilling really works best for me. If I could find training partners who were happy to drill just one technique 100 times in a row that'd be great.

The reality is that after drilling a techniques twenty times most people, quite understandably, begin to find it extremely tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I think the best compromise is positional sparring.

That way you can work on new techniques in an alive manner.

For instance-

Sparring from half guard- A pass or sub is a win for the guy on top/a sweep,back take or sub is a win for the guy on bottom.

Or,to be really basic- Sparring 'escape from mount' or 'escape from the back'.
    One of Wilson's favourite's is 'escape from the armbar'.

All valuable tools in development.
    Thanx for reply guys..

simon,

I positional spar twice per week. I really like it.

I have never sparred anything as specific as escape from an armbar though!!

Sounds nasty..