Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: switch or step?

Default switch or step?

when using your wrong leg to kick/knee do you switch then kick or just step and kick?

ive trained at a few thai gyms under lots of different trainers and they all seem to think different. some say never switch and some say switching is the only way. to be fair stepping is a million times easier. which do you do? what do you get taught to do?

i switch at the minute because my trainer tells me to, otherwise i wouldnt bother as stepping is easier and i get alot more power by doing so.

Banned

By wrong leg, do you mean your front leg?

I always that you just quick stepped and smashed it as inside leg kick or something...
    Last edited by pauljono1120; 18-03-2010 at 12:15 AM.

We get told to do like an in between. I'll try and record it next time the gyms a bit empty and i have my phone to show you what i mean, the front foot goes forward slightly, then the right foot goes out 45 degrees, plant the toes twist the foot throw the hips and the kick and go back to normal stance. If that makes ANY sense at all lol. So its sort of a switch and step, not a complete switch as in stay where you are entirely just throw legs opposite ways.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Quote Originally Posted by pauljono1120 View Post
    By wrong leg, do you mean your front leg?

I always that you just quick stepped and smashed it as inside leg kick or something...
    well you wouldnt switch if it was your back leg would you?

anyway i mean high, not inside leg. you wouldnt need to do any to land an inside leg kick

Banned

oh... i step to the side with my back leg, then throw the front, makes it easier.

Paul I'd just move, you'd see it coming, leg kicks are meant to damage the leg and wear the opponent down. Fast, in and out. Much like the jab, its not a knockout punch, the leg kick is not a knockout kick, but over time, those snappy little kicks do damage. They need to be fast so as not to get checked. If your stepping out on your back leg to throw a leg kick id just check the kick and counter kick while your off balance.

Take some thai lessons mate your stand up sounds muddled.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Switching is quite easy to read. I prefer to throw it from the front but if I was to really analyse what I do I probably take a slight(less than half) 45 degree step with my back foot but this is more to aid planting my toes than stepping to an easier stance.

I was originally taught the switch(back in the day) but definitely better getting into the habit of throwing it straight from the front. It's all in the hips
    Urban Disturbance Fight Team
    Black Devils Thai Boxing
    Anarchy MMA

20ft Cage Hire available(See website or PM for details)
    www.urbandisturbancefife.com

**NSFW**
    Paul Jenkins
    Pro Fighter

Both. Horses for courses.
    Step and switch have different timings, distancing, applications and appropriate follow on shots/combinations.

The Hands
    "Try masturbating during a thunderstorm. Seriously. It makes you feel like Thor."

Here Come Da Pain......

www.dogsofwar.info

Quote Originally Posted by Hands Of Stone View Post
    Both. Horses for courses.
    Step and switch have different timings, distancing, applications and appropriate follow on shots/combinations.

The Hands
    Same i do both switch and step depending on the situation, best to practice both.
    I love hitting people, its one of my favourite past times!!!

agree, different kicks entirely