Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimal/restricted training

Default Minimal/restricted training

I am considering travelling once a week to pratice BJJ after Easter. This would be possibly only saturdays.
    Reason 1 is because I train Stand up roughly 4 days a week. Reason 2 is simply distance from home and work shifts. Just how much benefit can one receive from a couple of hours training a week, considering I understand the ground game moderately and I am not an absolute beginner?
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

Once a week is better than no times, although it'll take you a bit longer to pick things up. The more you train the quicker you pick things up. Simple really.

Last edited by magpie80; 29-11-2010 at 11:50 PM.

It depends on:

1. Your understanding of your body
    2. The people you'd be rolling with
    3. The instructor
    4. What else you do for your ground game (yoga, swiss ball training, kettlebells...etc)

Best of luck matey and let us know how it goes. Welcome to the world of part time grappling
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

As Luke said, once a week is better than nothing.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Get someone else from your stand up class to go with you, then practise what you learnt at the the grappling class for 30 minutes twice a week before your stand up class?
    Celtic Pride Martial Arts, Abertillery, Gwent
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thai Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts

Need onli wretsling. Not jewjetshu. Onli needing strong. Polsa namber 1!

responses
    Magpie.
    I trained "MMA" on and off several years. There is no illusion that every fight will stay standing. I intend to work dilligently on clinch, sprawl and escape above all things, if a class would allow it. Fighting off the back is something I suggest all big guys learn as there is a myth that being big and strong will allow you to stay on top and beat down. Nogeuira inspires me.
    Rob n Luke.
    Thanks. I was half expecting people to say "dont bother" for only one day a week. Luke you know anyway I had a lot of rolling (when we were kids :P).
    Liam.
    You raised a question; "depends on the trainer" which I guess is part of another thread also. Initially I wanted to train with Barra or Axis bjj, but the more I think about it, I might just go to Tsunami, who although do BJJ; it is more tailored to the needs of the fighter, rather than a class with rigid a structure as the other clubs.
    I know I could simply request to learn something specific.
    Also, I have now tailored my body for striking, so will adjust accordingly as and when I become more rounded. Kettle bells ftw.
    Scott.
    That is the plan dude!
    Urwis.
    Tak. Number 1. We get it mate.
    Last edited by ocuana; 19-03-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Because im awesome
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

I think personally if I could train only once a week I'd just do no gi. Less to remember from session to session.

I feel a bit green now. I never even considered whether gi or no gi. I know technique is adjusted, but it is still bjj right? I dont care much for a gi at this stage.