Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whose Muay Thai impresses you most in MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Manhoefs leg kicks in that fight immediately made me want to take Muay Thai seriously.
    Did you? 10char
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

don't know if he comes from a thai or kickboxing background or whatever, but sam stout's striking in his fight against Joe Lauzon in ufc 108 was awsome! some of the best combos put together i've seen in a long time. 2nd and 3rd rounds in particular.
    Last edited by NoSoul; 23-03-2010 at 12:22 AM.

well not really

true muay thai (ie as in the sport that comes and is fought in thailand is judged differently to both dutch kickboxing and mma)

scoring is on effect , incorportates elbows, doesnt allow leg sweeps (ie foot to foot) uses clinching etc...so to say 'who has the best mauy thai' is subjective to your own interpretation

terry etim has good muay thai as he has fought under proper thai scoring system and has a perfect build for it....

others whilst incorporatin muay thai skills arent muay thai fighters

mma requires you to adapt.. due to take downs and things like no downward/spike elbows etc.....

a lot of these guys have never fought real muay thai (real is meant as in under thai scoring criteria) doesnt mean they can fight or arent good kickboxers....

for me Paul Daley has always been someone who has had aggressive thai boxing and throws (for me) great elbows....Ross Mason too back in the cage rage days...

a lot of guys who fight would no doubt do very well in thai however would prob be in the camp of 'wwin by KO or lose on points' under thai rules..

same as being a great mma grappler doesnt mean you would win the mundials in a gi or ADCC.....(hence my disagreement over the 'its all the same thing')
    Last edited by Yak; 23-03-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ocuana View Post
    Did you? 10char
    Yes, very much so.

Well done to iconclast for taking the plunge.
    Thanks to yak for typing what i was thinking. Second for Etim's Thai style.
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

silva shogun gsp alves daley used to like pete spratt liked his destruction of lawler with mt. domestically james doolan has to be 1 of the best
    chris carmichael Viper fight team sponsored by www.ontoppromotions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    I thought Mark Glover's Thai was fucking incredible against One-Two Pastou.
    +1

At domestic level, Glover's Thai against Afnan Saeed was brilliant.

Uche Ihiekwe's Thai for MMA is pretty sharp too.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Rambaa Somdet, Jose Aldo are my favorite stand up fighters to watch, outside of the obvious.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

rambaa is awesome and bar the few thais who fight in art of war, is prob one of the very very few who actually throws pretty much the same (technique wise) in mma as he did in the ring (obv this has its pros and cons) but nonetheless is quality to watch

some of the funniest ring entrances back in bangkok too.... nutcase...