Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Whose Muay Thai impresses you most in MMA?

Jose Aldo has looked good

Manhoef's leg kicks were looking great against Lawler until he got caught

One person who i think is underrated for his muay thai is Sam Stout. He destroyed Lauzon in his last fight and always uses decent muay thai technique in his fights.

Ben Saunders had great clinch technique against Marcus Davis too.

however as nice as they all are to watch

....not a patch on the real thing ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    however as nice as they all are to watch

....not a patch on the real thing ;-)
    I dont know about that. I would like to see an MMA trained stand up fighter against a pure Muay Thai guy under Muay Thai rules. I just think the explosiveness and pace of the MMA guy would overwhelm pure Thai guys. The hands would be better too and there wouldnt be as much standing on one foot in the first 2 rounds trying to feel each other out.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

not to sure about that either

sure there are some good thai guys in MMA

but not every thai fighter starts slow...just shows a lack of knowledge on the sport to be honest

go look at Porsanah or Pakhorn - both come flying out the gates
    or the recent fight between Wanheng vs Khounsok for the Lumpinee Light Weight title - they were spangling each other with everything from the first bell

Anuwat Kaewsamrit is a big puncher - Bovy Sor Udomsom doesn muck about and back in his prime was smashing people from the start

dont think the pace or 'explosiveness' would mean much - unless you have the skill to back it up

all depends on the fighter in question but on the whole Ill go with the thai guy - different sport..... ie proper clinching (which makes a world of difference), elbows etc etc.... plus the scoring isnt just about aggression

i.e watch Ramon Dekkers vs Chanoy ...dekkers tried to punch as per usual and Chanoy elbowed his nose off....

still be fun to watch but still its a very different sport......
    plus the 2 guys dont have the takedown option.... its stand and fight for 5 rds..... so hard to compare I think
    Last edited by Yak; 08-04-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave78 View Post
    Rob McCullough has a nice style to watch, very technically good
    Oh...Kit Cope of course too, goes without saying really lol
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Kit Cope? oh please.........

Kit Cope? oh please.........
    23-1 in MT and a world champ + bare knuckle champ. Sure, his MMA record is far from great, but his MT unquestionable surely?
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

not to sure about that either

sure there are some good thai guys in MMA

but not every thai fighter starts slow...just shows a lack of knowledge on the sport to be honest

go look at Porsanah or Pakhorn - both come flying out the gates
    or the recent fight between Wanheng vs Khounsok for the Lumpinee Light Weight title - they were spangling each other with everything from the first bell

Anuwat Kaewsamrit is a big puncher - Bovy Sor Udomsom doesn muck about and back in his prime was smashing people from the start

dont think the pace or 'explosiveness' would mean much - unless you have the skill to back it up

all depends on the fighter in question but on the whole Ill go with the thai guy - different sport..... ie proper clinching (which makes a world of difference), elbows etc etc.... plus the scoring isnt just about aggression

i.e watch Ramon Dekkers vs Chanoy ...dekkers tried to punch as per usual and Chanoy elbowed his nose off....

still be fun to watch but still its a very different sport......
    plus the 2 guys dont have the takedown option.... its stand and fight for 5 rds..... so hard to compare I think
    I have a pretty sound knowledge of Muay Thai and from my understanding and experience of the sport, predominantly the first couple of rounds are used as feel out rounds with the other 3 being where the fighters open up.

Clinch fighting is an art form within itself, the control and science of the clinch is lost amongst alot of people but I think with MMA guys using modern day sport specific training, doing fight specific sparring and conditioning rather than the standard ‘bounce on a tyre, run 8 miles a day, 30 minutes warm up, 3 hour training sessions etc’... MMA guys may handle themselves alot better in the ring against a Thai guy than most people would think.

I also always wondered about building a super Muay Thai Thailand based fighter... Caveman style training, super conditioning, explosive from start to finish...
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

same guy who posted crap over the internet about John Wayne Parr and his wife? fair play he beat Alex Gong, was meant to be in contender but would have got handled by everyone in the house in my opinion, american muay thai guys all say far far better fighters than him in the states too. Kits not even fought the same level of fighter as someone like JWP......

Kit Cope has fought pretty much DOMESTIC opponents his whole career at heavier weights. world champ in name - but please the IMPTO 'world' champ - he won a cpl of barenuckle fights on a songran (new years) show in thailand... where you just turn up at the burmese border and have a tear up.... not quite the same as fighting quality opposition in the sports home country

big gulf between those achievements and being a stadium champion or actually fighting the best at the weight....
    Last edited by Yak; 08-04-2010 at 10:09 AM.

first rounds are usually like that agreed but doesnt mean the thais cant do it, same as the 'thais' cant box stuff when they occupy plenty of the western boxing rankings at the lowest few weights

being trained using western sports science is great but still if you cant clinch - you cant clinch ;-)

not trying to be argumentative though, agree the training methods could be improved but still it works, very few westerners can challenge the thais at the lower weights, mma fights train multi discipline and so n my view wouldnt have the tools or knowledge (on the whole)

however an mma fight isnt the best showcase for true thai technique so its a bit like assessing how well someone would do at the mundials purely from how they grapple in an mma fight...different things

mma guy training striking isnt the same as you are aware of takedowns, cant commit to body kicks, lack of upright clinching, lower stance etc,
    seen plenty of mma guys - even ufc names training (and having sparred a few of them) and whilst being competent are not on the same level as the top thais..... but there are a number of guys who have good skills who fight in mma (due to having a background in MT and the pay being vastly different too)
    Last edited by Yak; 08-04-2010 at 10:18 AM.