Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Whose Muay Thai impresses you most in MMA?

^^^^ granted i think Cope's a cock, but i still rate his MT!

+ Jamie Varner
    + Jon Jones
    + Punk Thompson
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    I have a pretty sound knowledge of Muay Thai and from my understanding and experience of the sport, predominantly the first couple of rounds are used as feel out rounds with the other 3 being where the fighters open up.

Clinch fighting is an art form within itself, the control and science of the clinch is lost amongst alot of people but I think with MMA guys using modern day sport specific training, doing fight specific sparring and conditioning rather than the standard ‘bounce on a tyre, run 8 miles a day, 30 minutes warm up, 3 hour training sessions etc’... MMA guys may handle themselves alot better in the ring against a Thai guy than most people would think.

I also always wondered about building a super Muay Thai Thailand based fighter... Caveman style training, super conditioning, explosive from start to finish...
    I've got a beef with the whole thai's aren't fast or explosive there are countless examples of thai's throwing incredibly fast, hard, kicks punches, knees and elbows.

Just by visual inspection they throw everything faster than mma fighters even if they are a lot lighter.

I just can't see anyone in mma work the thai pads like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dIsPTWyic

I believe there's russian mma fighter called Fedor emmelianenko who uses long runs amongst other old school training techniques who's pretty damn successful.

I do agree with the thai's being predominantly slow starters and can get caught out with agressive punchers though (even though there are a few of these types in thailand).

I think a lot of that has to do with the betting on rounds in thailand and thai's not quite having the same "there is no tommorrow" attitude where they can lay it all on the line like there is in other combat sports because chances are they are going to fight again in three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    same guy who posted crap over the internet about John Wayne Parr and his wife? fair play he beat Alex Gong, was meant to be in contender but would have got handled by everyone in the house in my opinion, american muay thai guys all say far far better fighters than him in the states too. Kits not even fought the same level of fighter as someone like JWP......

Kit Cope has fought pretty much DOMESTIC opponents his whole career at heavier weights. world champ in name - but please the IMPTO 'world' champ - he won a cpl of barenuckle fights on a songran (new years) show in thailand... where you just turn up at the burmese border and have a tear up.... not quite the same as fighting quality opposition in the sports home country

big gulf between those achievements and being a stadium champion or actually fighting the best at the weight....
    What he said!! Cope's Muay Thai over rated. JWP would pick him apart.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    At domestic level, Glover's Thai against Afnan Saeed was brilliant.
    I need to see this, Saeed is no slouch himself.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Domestic level- uche ihkewiu and pietro menga

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Domestic level- uche ihkewiu and pietro menga
    says he's got no fights? interested to learn more about this.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Uche-Ihiekwe-53117
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

He's a semi-pro mate.

aha. I see a trip to youtube in my near future. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    says he's got no fights? interested to learn more about this.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Uche-Ihiekwe-53117
    Uche's last fight: http://xr.com/pd4a

Glover v Saeed here

Agreed with what you said about Afnan as well - I seriously can't believe how bad his record is though? He has really solid MT, and great ground as well. I remember training with him like 8 years ago and he was good then.

Glover is a freak though, crazy talent.
    www.kaobon.com home of TEAM KAOBON MMA/MUAYTHAI

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
    What he said!! Cope's Muay Thai over rated. JWP would pick him apart.
    "Whose Muay Thai impresses you most in MMA?" JWP doesn't compete MMA though does he?? Or have I missed something?!
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'