Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muay thai

Default muay thai

is there n e dvds that gives you a good understanding of muay thai and good training techniques

go join a club as you need someone to watch what you throw to help correct you, plus dvds dont take into account your own build, strengths or weakness...if your 4ft tall and built like a tank you wont ever be a knee fighter.....

Yaky boy. Giving some good advice from what i read recently. Training hard mte?..
    It is true indeed. If you have no access to a club then dvds can be insiteful, but you may pick up habits as it is hard to corect your own mistakes. Youll struggle to buy dvds in store. Probably, you are just as well off on youtube, googling muay thai basics. Rob Mccullough (razor rob) is a very clear and insiteful dvd instructor.
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    go join a club as you need someone to watch what you throw to help correct you, plus dvds dont take into account your own build, strengths or weakness...if your 4ft tall and built like a tank you wont ever be a knee fighter.....
    good advice.. prolp where abouts in lancs are you? there are some great clubs here mate..

yes mate training hard, just back from another thailand trip, got lots of my boys/girsl out fighting too so very very busy...

phuongtim39

Quote Originally Posted by prolp View Post
    is there n e dvds that gives you a good understanding of muay thai and good training techniques
    I accept with information: It is true indeed. If you have no access to a club then dvds can be insiteful, but you may pick up habits as it is hard to corect your own mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by prolp View Post
    lisa Houghton-Smith and Liam Harrison have just released their 'Kickstart DVD'.

Lisa is world champ and one of the best female fighters ever, competing at the highest level in Thai Boxing, Kick Boxing and Boxing and Liam Harrison the same, world titles in Thai Boxing, Kick Boxing and he also KO'D the Cambodiam champ in a boxing match too so i imagine it will be a pretty good DVD.

you can probs get hold of it through the Bad Company Website!
    Marianne.

Team Phoenix

saekson janjira has a good set of dvds, master sken has a dvd out there. i think dvds are good for picking up odd trick or tip, but thats all.

and for the cost, just take a day out and book a private with a decent instructor in your area, will learn more and take away more in that 1hr or 2hr session and be well worth your cash.. even if in the middle of no where if you can do this just once a month will be worthwhile

spend the rest of the time on youtube watching the stadium fights from thailand...pick up just as much

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    and for the cost, just take a day out and book a private with a decent instructor in your area, will learn more and take away more in that 1hr or 2hr session and be well worth your cash.. even if in the middle of no where if you can do this just once a month will be worthwhile

spend the rest of the time on youtube watching the stadium fights from thailand...pick up just as much
    This is the best idea in my opinion - you are better off spending your money on lessons of some sort, however infrequent and watching youtube videos.

The main thing to remember, in my opinion, is that with a lesson you can ask why you do certain things, why your feet have to move in a certain way, why you stand this way, why your hands are here/there/whatever. With a video you might not have this explained. If you just watch fights then you might pick up habits that pro fighters have that they manage in other ways, because they have been training for years.

An example of this is where I see people flaring their elbows in their guard at all ranges because they have seen "x" do it, not understanding that proper Thai form is to keep the elbows tight when in close (Goldie in UFC often comments on the elbows flaring away from the body as a Thai stance...). One reason you will see pro's not doing this is because they can (or think they can) read the opponent and be fast enough to react appropriately. The elbows and arms can protect from round kicks, which is why I get raw beginners to keep that form. Then when folk get more experienced, they can relax their guard to suit the purpose.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.