Thread: frequency.

Hybrid View

Default frequency.

hey guys and gals so you people who compete every couple weeks how do you guys find the right blend of training and resting before a fight. i mean if your fighting every couple weeks you cant work a strength block or just fitness you need to be everything at once, do you ever feel your overtraining or undertraining? How do you maintain your weight?

Quote Originally Posted by russel View Post
    hey guys and gals so you people who compete every couple weeks how do you guys find the right blend of training and resting before a fight. i mean if your fighting every couple weeks you cant work a strength block or just fitness you need to be everything at once, do you ever feel your overtraining or undertraining? How do you maintain your weight?
    i fought april, june, july twice & november.

I was doing MMA 3 times per week, runs/circuits 2x per wk & weights maybe 3x per week.

I trained hard for "camp", had an easy week, fought, wk off then trained hard again.

My fights were to be 80, 75, 77, 75, 77. Weighed in a couple kg less in each fight. I didnt find it hard to drop or increase weight. Was basically controlling amount of food/ water i consumed before weigh in & it worked fine.

depending on your skill set fighting too often isnt a good thing, theres so much to learn in MMA if your constantly in 'fight training' your not really developing your game at all. Ideally i like to fight 4 times a year (at a good level) and try and get better inbetween training to fight. I also advise this to my fighters although its not set in stone, some guys are fatser learners than others and if there winning all the time id be happier to let them fight again sooner. In the event of a loss id make them take some time out and address any areas that the loss has highlighted.

Id also suggest if the your competing for the sake of competing to use other ruels sets to keep busy, il compete in thai or grappling competitions inbetween MMA fights to stay busy or to check my progress

Quote Originally Posted by thaison View Post
    depending on your skill set fighting too often isnt a good thing, theres so much to learn in MMA if your constantly in 'fight training' your not really developing your game at all. Ideally i like to fight 4 times a year (at a good level) and try and get better inbetween training to fight. I also advise this to my fighters although its not set in stone, some guys are fatser learners than others and if there winning all the time id be happier to let them fight again sooner. In the event of a loss id make them take some time out and address any areas that the loss has highlighted.

Id also suggest if the your competing for the sake of competing to use other ruels sets to keep busy, il compete in thai or grappling competitions inbetween MMA fights to stay busy or to check my progress
    So how does your training differ when your in specific fight training and when your just generally training to improve skills if you don't mind me asking?

when im fight training i put more emphasis on conditioning and working to my strengths/game

yea the thing i find atm is i keep feeling over trained doing twice a day 5-6 days a week. i mean i can handle that just dont no when to take my foot of the gas so to speak and im finding the constant dieting hard i walk around 60-61 kg if im not lifitng weights my coach has me fighting at 57kg same day weigh in atm. im short 5"6 so its prob best to cut down but i feel so much stronger, healthier around 59 kg. on a average week thaison what does your week look like roughly of course a dont expect you to give your secrects on training away for free ha. cheers

im dropping down to around a 1000 calories a day which is half the RDA for a normal person, never mind an active athlete. Im not eating much in the way of carbs and between that and some natural pre-fight anxiety im a moody crabbit fucker to be around just now
    Good stuff mate, I'm surprised by the nature and quantity of your typical afternoon workout I guess that's what you were meaning when you were comparing your activities to improve general skills and those for fight style conditioning.

just looked at your blog you train alot! but cheers for the info