Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What part of the shin???????

Default What part of the shin???????

what part of the shin do you exactly land with?? is there a video anyone knows?? check his kicks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2POFH8J8-I he seems to land really high up on his shin??? im confused
    30% Discount on Dianabol When you enter promotional code : R01DR4GE at bouncecup.com

Being a standup dunce, I'd love to see that blooter in action to see what kind of effect it would have.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

That's in the right place.

When landing leg or body kicks, I always land with that portion of my shin if possible.

When landing a headkick; I can land it with my instep, as I don't need to hit as hard.

throwing a kick in that fashion seems like a great way to get taken down to me you lose all balance by pivoting plus the reason i was taught to plant my foot is if you then lift your leg the elastic energy in your hips already begins the rotation and its a matter off applying extra speed and force

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstack View Post
    throwing a kick in that fashion seems like a great way to get taken down to me you lose all balance by pivoting plus the reason i was taught to plant my foot is if you then lift your leg the elastic energy in your hips already begins the rotation and its a matter off applying extra speed and force
    Well, this is a kick from a Muay Thai, not an MMA, perspective.

Bringing up your point, however; you only lose balance when you pivot if your balance and weight transferal is not spot on.

The method of kicking you've described is much like Bas Rutten's method of kicking; which is good for kicking low, but high kicks from this foot position are a lot less fluid, I find. I find this method also limits my kick mobility; as I find I cannot kick through my target when my foot is planted to the mat and then get back to my stance as smoothly and quickly as when I pivot.

fair enough dan i see where your coming from but if checked accurately wouldnt it be quite easy to knock down the kicker in a muay thai or k1 match?

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi,

If you are kicking at distance kick with the lower third of the shin. Closer, probably strike with the upper third of the shin.

Try and block with the upper third of the shin - it has more strength up there.

Kicks with the shin can be thrown at all ranges, and the technique, and the application of the technique needs to be adjusted accordingly to maximise purpose.

Same, the kicks can come up at angle, straight in, or down, or any combination between.

Or they can come around or come forward, or any combination between.

And all of this will affect which part of the shin strikes, and how.

Unfortunately there is not one size fits all - you need to know the basics behind the kick from fixator to follow through and then work out how to apply it to every purpose and every eventuality.

Hope this helps!

Smiler

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstack View Post
    fair enough dan i see where your coming from but if checked accurately wouldnt it be quite easy to knock down the kicker in a muay thai or k1 match?
    If the kick was caught, then sure; it would be.

But the whole point in pivoting is so that, should the kick be checked or connects; the pivot would allow the fighter to "rebound" back into stance quickly, thus improving chances of defending a counter attack.

Also, if you DO get caught whilst pivoting; you should find your footwork somewhat nimbler than if your whole foot was planted (or, atleast, I do) and you can fall back to stance again easier (unless you're knocked out, naturally)

I'm always amazed by the lack of basic muay thai knowledge on internet messageboards (sherduh for example) and was pleasantly surprised to find people who know what they are talking about in this thread and whole board. I'm far from an expert but Dan and Smiler seem to know what they are talking about in great detail - That's one more than is typical of other forums!

(not bashing the TS btw, its a legitimate question)

The video you showed seemed to be quite a slow kick to me. Both the way described as "bas rutten" style and Thai style are both used in Muay Thai, or at least they are in our classes and can be seen at Scottish shows I've been to. On top of what Smiler and Dan have said, bas's kicks are great when set up properly, can be very strong and might be much better suited for MMA, however the pivoting style kick is much faster, offers a lot more defence in the stand up

BJ Penn has awesome takedown defence and his feet aren't planted when someone has a single leg on him (similar to getting your leg caught from a kick).
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Yeah...

There's something I really like about this fella's teaching style though...he actually understands weight and movement and application. Its good to see.

Too many people don't understand the importance of weight shift, nor the importance of appropriate connection to the floor...

Smiler