Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: What part of the shin???????

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Yeah...

    There's something I really like about this fella's teaching style though...he actually understands weight and movement and application. Its good to see.

    Too many people don't understand the importance of weight shift, nor the importance of appropriate connection to the floor...

    Smiler
    i like it too i looked at a few of his videos and he saids he uses old style muay thai and explained the difference between "ring style"(me & most ppl i know) and old style check out the other videos
    30% Discount on Dianabol When you enter promotional code : R01DR4GE at bouncecup.com

  2. #12

    Default

    oh yeah, no doubt he is a good teacher.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Hi,

    If you are kicking at distance kick with the lower third of the shin. Closer, probably strike with the upper third of the shin.

    Try and block with the upper third of the shin - it has more strength up there.

    Kicks with the shin can be thrown at all ranges, and the technique, and the application of the technique needs to be adjusted accordingly to maximise purpose.

    Same, the kicks can come up at angle, straight in, or down, or any combination between.

    Or they can come around or come forward, or any combination between.

    And all of this will affect which part of the shin strikes, and how.

    Unfortunately there is not one size fits all - you need to know the basics behind the kick from fixator to follow through and then work out how to apply it to every purpose and every eventuality.

    Hope this helps!

    Smiler
    This ^

    Kick with the lower third, block with the upper third... middle third = not so much unless you want to whince and hobble around.

    Personally I think if you're close enough to land that kick with the upper third of the shin, a step to long knee is a better tool.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    When landing a headkick; I can land it with my instep, as I don't need to hit as hard.
    You can headkick? Aren't you like 4 foot tall?

    Anyway, headkick wise - if you can land a kick to the body with no problem, the headkick shouldnt require you kicking with the instep as a) you can break your foot and b) you're overcompensating for not being to kick high enough... if you're aiming to kick high - get up high on your pivoting foot. Use those calf muscles and use the ball of your foot to get you up... body straight - GET UP ON THOSE TOES!
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

  4. #14
    The King of Crase DanCrase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    4,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    You can headkick? Aren't you like 4 foot tall?

    Anyway, headkick wise - if you can land a kick to the body with no problem, the headkick shouldnt require you kicking with the instep as a) you can break your foot and b) you're overcompensating for not being to kick high enough... if you're aiming to kick high - get up high on your pivoting foot. Use those calf muscles and use the ball of your foot to get you up... body straight - GET UP ON THOSE TOES!
    Yeah, I'm about 5'5", I'm pretty short

    I don't kick with my foot? the instep is your ankle area...or, atleast, thats what I was referring to

    I get up on my pivoting foot, somewhat, but I have really thin ankles and, I think, I fear damaging it by getting too high.

    My body's about 140 degrees when I throw a headkick; tilting my hips means I cant be totally 180.....did I get my angles right there?

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    I get up on my pivoting foot, somewhat, but I have really thin ankles and, I think, I fear damaging it by getting too high.
    thats one of the weirdest things i ever read on a martial arts forum, and i used to frequent one that had a wing chun section.

    yes, that quote is madder than wing chun.

  6. #16
    The King of Crase DanCrase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    4,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john joe View Post
    thats one of the weirdest things i ever read on a martial arts forum, and i used to frequent one that had a wing chun section.

    yes, that quote is madder than wing chun.
    I'll take that as a sort of compliment

  7. #17
    Junior Member Rutter85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Manchester, England.
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I'm just buzzing if I can land a kick me ha ha ha...not the best bit of my game ha.
    Darren "The Pretty Boy" Rutter

    Manchester Predators MMA

    www.manchester-mma.com

    Semi-Pro MMA Record
    0-0
    Amateur Boxing Record
    2--0-1 (1KO)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.