Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone learn to fight?

Default Can anyone learn to fight?

I work with a guy who knows that I train martials arts. I've made it very clear to him that I'm no expert, but lately he's been asking my advice on what martial art to take up.

Self defence seems to be his number one priority, closely followed by fitness. He has no desire to compete.

Thing is, he's what many people would regard as a geek. Rather timid in nature, very bookish, not physically imposing at all. And whilst he has no disabilities or health problems that might stand in his way, he's certainly not what you'd call even remotely athletic.

He likes the idea of boxing or Muay Thai, but is petrified of being punched in the head. Bodyshots are fine, but headshots are a great concern to him, although I'm not quite sure why.

Can such a person learn to fight to a degree where they could hold their own in a streetfight?

I hate people judging me when they don't know me, and I hate doing the same to others. But I have to admit, I'd be very surprised if this guy could ever reach a level where he could fend of an attack from an unarmed fifteen year old chav.

sounds like he just got a really steep learning curve also sounds like he needs to spar and get punched in the face a few times to get over that fear
    30% Discount on Dianabol When you enter promotional code : R01DR4GE at bouncecup.com

Anyone who is scared of getting punched or hurt will never suceed in any sort of fight

thats not true, my brother is scared of getting hit so he tries to take my head off. i think anyone can learn if they're determined, they just have to find what works for them

When I first started training id saw Unleashed & TUF1 had just started & I was hooked on watching it. I was in no way tough/ a fighter etc.

My mates bro-in-law was a judo coach who cross trained a bit with a thai boxer. I went along & loved it but HATED being hit. It took a lot of time & eventually being held in place with my mate, slinging punches at each other, to get over it. After that I was generally fine. I still get a bit flustered if I havent been hit in a while, this happened to me on Monday night, got punched & done the stupidest "bob" youve ever saw. Had a laugh at myself & got on with it.

So, in short, yes, id say anyone can learn to fight & hold their own against someone who has or has not trained before.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I hate people judging me when they don't know me, and I hate doing the same to others. But I have to admit, I'd be very surprised if this guy could ever reach a level where he could fend of an attack from an unarmed fifteen year old chav.
    That was me before I took up muay thai. I think that given the right motivation and surrounded by the right folk, it is fully possible this dude could develop into a badass, still waiting on that happening to me tho! haha.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

Apart from being, well, owned in his last fight, Dustin haslet has done well from the geek look etc, you never know, your work mate might get hit a few times and actually like it, in a weird way I like being hit in the head lol, 6 months ago I shat my pants at the thought of it,
    I don't believe in belts. There should be no ranking system for toughness.

I think you need to have the right frame of mind to practise any physical sport, especially ones where you get punched in the head.

i'm no expert in this, but boxing sounds the best option.

He needs to overcome the fear of being hit. Even if he developed Rickson level BJJ, he would forget it if got a slap in the chop off a medium to large school girl.

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    i'm no expert in this, but boxing sounds the best option.

He needs to overcome the fear of being hit. Even if he developed Rickson level BJJ, he would forget it if got a slap in the chop off a medium to large school girl.
    Unless if he doesn't like getting hit, then just do BJJ. He might prefer that to kickboxing, which is all about stand up and headshots.