Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone learn to fight?

a good sparring partner who can place shots without hurting him, will help him get over the fear of getting hit. running, heavy bag (teeps) padwork for technique,lots of straight shots, he may be able to fight a chav. or quick teep then sprint off unharmed if attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Unless if he doesn't like getting hit, then just do BJJ. He might prefer that to kickboxing, which is all about stand up and headshots.
    If you are going to do something for self defense the best thing someone can learn to do is get hit and nott shit yer pants or freeze up

I will hold until my dying day that BJJ is the best MA for self defence.

The amount of times i would of got a fucking kicking, had it not been for armbarring the fucker etc.
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    If you are going to do something for self defense the best thing someone can learn to do is get hit and nott shit yer pants or freeze up
    Couldn't agree more mate, especially in more vicious streetfights, although it'd be those situations where you'd just get the hell outta there. As far as self defence goes I think it's also beneficial to know what to do if, say, a drunk in the pub jumps on you (kinda like the fat burger boy in that video) that gave it some mouth then got owned by grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak-TapouT- View Post
    I will hold until my dying day that BJJ is the best MA for self defence.

The amount of times i would of got a fucking kicking, had it not been for armbarring the fucker etc.
    I armbared a dude in the street when I was on holiday the fucker sank his teeth into my leg .. Won't be doing that again... good o'l ground and pound haha ...
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle, The mind is like a parachute -- it works best when it is open." - Rickson Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonk!! View Post
    I armbared a dude in the street when I was on holiday the fucker sank his teeth into my leg .. Won't be doing that again... good o'l ground and pound haha ...
    I think it was Leigh Remedios who said he arm barred a pikey who bit him, he said he put it on hard and he screamed and his teeth released

When we were kids my brother was kind of like this..really gentle bloke who hated fighting and would be quite meekish until someone pushed it then he would go ape.

He was one of these kids who would cry his eyes out when he had a fight and batter people senseless at the same time.

Any decent gym / club will get him over his fear of getting hit. Having said that if he really does not want to do a striking art have him take a look at Aikido, Krav Maga, Systema, Silat to name a few should help him learn enough to look after him self should he need to

Quote Originally Posted by d0ugbug View Post
    Any decent gym / club will get him over his fear of getting hit. Having said that if he really does not want to do a striking art have him take a look at Aikido, Krav Maga, Systema, Silat to name a few should help him learn enough to look after him self should he need to
    Krav is a striking art though isn't it?

Personally, I have my doubts about recommending anyone take up a martial art where they won't get the chance to spar against someone who really doesn't want to get beaten.

If someone really doesn't like the idea of boxing/Muay Thai because of getting hit, then it has to be BJJ or Judo IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I work with a guy who knows that I train martials arts. I've made it very clear to him that I'm no expert, but lately he's been asking my advice on what martial art to take up.

Self defence seems to be his number one priority, closely followed by fitness. He has no desire to compete.

Thing is, he's what many people would regard as a geek. Rather timid in nature, very bookish, not physically imposing at all. And whilst he has no disabilities or health problems that might stand in his way, he's certainly not what you'd call even remotely athletic.

He likes the idea of boxing or Muay Thai, but is petrified of being punched in the head. Bodyshots are fine, but headshots are a great concern to him, although I'm not quite sure why.

Can such a person learn to fight to a degree where they could hold their own in a streetfight?

I hate people judging me when they don't know me, and I hate doing the same to others. But I have to admit, I'd be very surprised if this guy could ever reach a level where he could fend of an attack from an unarmed fifteen year old chav.
    This sounds similar to my situation when I started doing martial arts. I've never been in a street fight in my life and I'm quite small and slightly built.

My priorities were also fitness and self defence. I started doing wing chun and really enjoyed it and that was basically the start of my martial arts obsession

The problem with wing chun at the class I was training at was the lack of sparring (although sparring has now recently been introduced). I thought I would be able to handle myself but worried about what would happen if someone cracked me one first and how I would react. I decided to try out kickboxing at a local club but the thought of getting hit (repeatedly) scared the shit out of me. I gave it a go anyway and instantly became hooked. I've now stopped the wing chun and train only in boxing and kickboxing.

I think anyone can be trained to the stage where they will be able to handle themselves. I think the 2 main things are (1) they need to find something that they enjoy doing and (2) they need to be at a club where the coaches will bring them along at the right pace and not ask people to spar hard after a couple of weeks.