Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone learn to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonk!! View Post
    I armbared a dude in the street when I was on holiday the fucker sank his teeth into my leg .. Won't be doing that again... good o'l ground and pound haha ...
    Lmao.

10 Chars!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Krav is a striking art though isn't it?

Personally, I have my doubts about recommending anyone take up a martial art where they won't get the chance to spar against someone who really doesn't want to get beaten.

If someone really doesn't like the idea of boxing/Muay Thai because of getting hit, then it has to be BJJ or Judo IMO.
    Yeah but not in the sense they all pad up and chuck gloves on and go at it. At least not in my experience but I could be wrong.

self defence - goshin jutsu
    fitness - go out for a run
    ‘Rehearsed routines lack the flexibility to adapt - Simple, Direct & Brutal’

www.grappleandstrike.com
    www.falconsmartialarts.com
    www.taijutsukai.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by General H View Post
    self defence - goshin jutsu
    fitness - go out for a run
    Are you suggesting that training for self defence cannot noticeably improve fitness?

Sounds like a complete pussy. Maybe starting MMA will be a big boost to his confidence?

BJJ is probably the way forward for him.

I dont know why but it's mainly the bookish, timid guys who tend to excel at BJJ - it's a technical art and there's never an easy answer for anything. People who like to figure things out and break things down tend to be better at it IMO.

I work with a guy who is really bookish... glasses, quiet, would run from a duck's shadow. He asked me about doing JKD etc at a place round the corner to keep fit and to learn self defence - I told him to try BJJ at ours and he's been hooked ever since. He even went on to do the MMA Stand Up classes and loves it.

With BJJ he doesnt need to worry about strikes and it's not an easy combat sport by any means, he can progress at his own pace with beginner classes and the conditioning part of it is pretty good.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    I work with a guy who is really bookish... glasses, quiet, would run from a duck's shadow.
    what size duck are we talking here?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    I work with a guy who is really bookish... glasses, quiet, would run from a duck's shadow.
    There's some pretty vicious mallards on the banks of the mill pond I run past, thankfully if I time it right the old lady with the scraps of bread keeps them occupied long enough for me to sprint past
    ADX, Bad Boy, Demon, Evolution, Hayabusa, Sandee, Tapout, and Venum available at: http://www.fightkit.com

MMA Training and Fight Conditioning in Huddersfield: http://www.farrellmma.co.uk

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

any one can learn to fight, but putting into practice on the street what you have learnt in the gym is another story. this is why competition is very important as pressure testing your skills is a must.
    ive seen guys with years of martial arts experience crumble in a real violent scenario.
    you can coach technique but not the will to fight. that said the more confident you become in your own ability the easier it is to transfer it into a real situation.
    when i started out years ago i used to hate getting hit in the face but the more it happens the more tolerant to it you become.
    i would agree with most that if a person is uneasy with getting hit then jui jitsu/ grappling is the best option.
    dont forget though that cross training is hugly important as ive seen many a bjj black belt beat by a bjj white belt in mma as they have not concentrated enuff on striking.
    whatever martial art you take up tho, sparring has to be used. stay away from anywhere that dont spar
    just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by shakus maximus View Post
    whatever martial art you take up tho, sparring has to be used. stay away from anywhere that dont spar
    just my opinion
    Is controlled full contact sparring the only type of sparring worth doing do you think?