Thread: lightweight or welterweight

Default lightweight or welterweight

I need sme weight class advice.
    Im 5'8 and usually sit around 78kgs when eating badly, i've fought at lightweight a couple of times (semi pro) but feel awful at that weight, i feel my power and conditioning suffer alot.
    If i put on a bit more size would it be sensible to fight at 77kg (semi pro), would having power and conditioning plus a good diet pre fight make up for my lack of size.

thanks

For semi pro, with a same day weigh in i'd look to get a bit stronger and stick to WW.

For Pro, if you decide that you can do LW quite easy from there
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

Quote Originally Posted by jamesleaves View Post
    I need sme weight class advice.
    Im 5'8 and usually sit around 78kgs when eating badly, i've fought at lightweight a couple of times (semi pro) but feel awful at that weight, i feel my power and conditioning suffer alot.
    If i put on a bit more size would it be sensible to fight at 77kg (semi pro), would having power and conditioning plus a good diet pre fight make up for my lack of size.

thanks

first of all you need to establish what your walk around weight is when eating normally!

take into consideration that when in "fight training" you naturaly cut and reduce %body fat due to the intensity and increased training sessions leading up.

then, you look at water loading.....if you water load 1 week prior to a fight your gona lose approx 1.5 - 2.5 kg in water ( naturaly removing water from extracellular tissue)

fighting pro your probibly looking more like a 68kg fighter, no more than 70kg

( otherwise you wont have the neccisary body composition of a profesional athlete at 70kg)

semi pro, i would do a catch weigh at 75kg!

good luck!

Same day weigh in - WW

24hrs before - LW
    Fitch's fan

LW for sure if day before weigh in

I can go up as high as 78 when I'm eating badly or injured. Lol

If you can diet down close to 73ish then fight at LW semi pro.
    You could probably fight at FW day before.

Everybody is different though.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

Hi Guys

Sorry to hijack the thread
    My last two fights have been at 66Kg with a same day weigh in. I made weight the last two times but it was absolute hell getting down to the weight. I walk around at roughly 72kg and 69kg when training every week. I'm 5'11 so I'm a lot taller than most guys in my weight class which is a bonus especially with my guard game but on the flipside I'm also a lot thinner and lack of lot of the strength and power that the shorter stockier guys have. Should I bite the bullet and spend six months working on power and size alongside my technique and move up to 70kg? or just stick to 66kg.
    I only intend to fight at AM level with same day weigh ins and I only compete for fun.
    I'm 31 so I dont have the luxury of that youthful metabolism!

any feedback is appreciated guys

I would say yes if you feel like the weight cut if affecting your performance. I've seen quite a few fighters lose mainly as a result of cutting weight, probably more than I have seen losing cos they were too small. Also you're pretty tall for that weight.
    Fitch's fan