Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral Question...

Default Moral Question...

...Right things for me at the moment are financially very tight. I was thinking about stuff I could do to earn a little extra cash.

So I was thinking about offering private sessions in bjj on gumtree to novices. Just basic stuff.

BUT I'm only a blue belt in bjj ( a decidely mediocre one at that) and a green (again mediocre) in judo. For arguments sake lets say I've cleared it with my instructor.

Even if I make it crystal clear at the start what level I'm at and what level of instruction I can offer to the punters would it be an ethical thing to do ?

I think I could do a good job in teaching basic stuff and I would only be showing them stuff that I understand fully and am succesfull in sparring.

Whats everyones opinion? The more I think about it more uncomfortable I feel about doing it but then again I do need the money and thats making me even more uncomfortable!

If you are honest about your qualifications to teach and have cleared it with your instructor, I think it's fine.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Back in the 'early' days in the UK, blue belts quite often supported the instructor. I think Mark Walder was teaching as a blue belt.

I would hate to teach (did it in other martial arts), but as a fellow blue belt (and I'm below average too), I would feel comfortable teaching. I would be capable of teaching basics well.

My advice is to stick with the most basic of basics and to practice explaining to a friend. I was surprised to find how much I couldn't do well enough to feel confident to demonstrate to a class.

In moral terms thought- clear it with your instructor and enjoy the experience. You'll get loads out of it.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you charge?

Quote Originally Posted by faithsdaddy View Post
    Back in the 'early' days in the UK, blue belts quite often supported the instructor. I think Mark Walder was teaching as a blue belt.

I would hate to teach (did it in other martial arts), but as a fellow blue belt (and I'm below average too), I would feel comfortable teaching. I would be capable of teaching basics well.

My advice is to stick with the most basic of basics and to practice explaining to a friend. I was surprised to find how much I couldn't do well enough to feel confident to demonstrate to a class.

In moral terms thought- clear it with your instructor and enjoy the experience. You'll get loads out of it.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you charge?
    I was thinking maybe something like 5 for an hour but I haven't worked anything out yet as it is just an idea I'm playing with

As a complete novice I would be happy to have a blue belt teach me the basics, especially for 5 an hour! Morally, if your coach is supportive and you are open with your experience then I don't see why not. As long as their is no lies or deception, there isn't a moral question. Good luck.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

As said above if you're upfront about your level and you've ok'ed with your teacher there's no harm in it at all.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Sounds alright to me, I'm only a novice myself and would happily pay 5 an hour.

Im a blue belt, and would happily pay to drill some basics and spar with people who I dont normally roll with.

where are you going to hire to teach for less than 5 per hour?

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    where are you going to hire to teach for less than 5 per hour?
    ^^^ this is the thing.

I'm sure you will be able to get clients but where are you going to roll with them?

Also I'm shite and don't hold any belt but used to teach the beginners class at the gym I used to run.

Everyone has something to teach. If you have students who are raw novices you can show them basic positions, subs and escapes.

Also when I first started it was common the have a blue belt take classes.