Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Paramedics at fight shows

  1. #1

    Default Paramedics at fight shows

    I've been to a number of shows recently and have been noticing when there is a real shortage of medical staff on hand. I wont mention exactly where but I was at a show and was helping a fighter prepare when a guy came in with pretty nasty facial injuries (cuts, swollen ears etc) and the 2 paramedics were back in the warm up area tending to the fighter. Firstly, it was great that the experienced medics were on hand to deal with the injuries. however, the show stopped and the medics were put under pressure to patch the guy up as the show couldn't continue wihtout them being cage side. Why don't promotors have min 2 teams of medical staff that way they can deal with more than 1 fighter and a spectator, fighter etc without being too stretched to treat 1 person effectively? also i feel that the fighter should've been taken to another area for treatment rather than bleeding in front of the remaining fighters.

    Also it could free up a team to give the fighters a check up after their fights. I'd like to mention that the Kayo MMA show in Watford last month decided to sacrifice their budget for production etc and spent on an extra paramedics team and ambulance after I appealled to them. I thank them for that I know that it was noticed by all the fighters and teams that their safety was of the utmost importance to the promoters.

  2. #2

    Default

    money probably the reason
    30% Discount on Dianabol When you enter promotional code : R01DR4GE at bouncecup.com

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJunior View Post
    I've been to a number of shows recently and have been noticing when there is a real shortage of medical staff on hand. I wont mention exactly where but I was at a show and was helping a fighter prepare when a guy came in with pretty nasty facial injuries (cuts, swollen ears etc) and the 2 paramedics were back in the warm up area tending to the fighter. Firstly, it was great that the experienced medics were on hand to deal with the injuries. however, the show stopped and the medics were put under pressure to patch the guy up as the show couldn't continue wihtout them being cage side. Why don't promotors have min 2 teams of medical staff that way they can deal with more than 1 fighter and a spectator, fighter etc without being too stretched to treat 1 person effectively? also i feel that the fighter should've been taken to another area for treatment rather than bleeding in front of the remaining fighters.

    Also it could free up a team to give the fighters a check up after their fights. I'd like to mention that the Kayo MMA show in Watford last month decided to sacrifice their budget for production etc and spent on an extra paramedics team and ambulance after I appealled to them. I thank them for that I know that it was noticed by all the fighters and teams that their safety was of the utmost importance to the promoters.
    Very admirable of Kayo MMA, I'd rather they spend money on safety than me be the guy whos team filmed a tragedy in the sport because not enough medical staff was onboard!

  4. #4

    Default

    St. Johns Ambulance don't even charge that much, grab 4 of those guys and you'll be right.
    Is ready to die for that inch.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    9,170

    Default

    Are St. John's Ambulance good enough to cover an MMA show?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

  6. #6

    Default

    Like most things in Martial Arts Comps and now MMA Comps ~ you will get loads of Promotors that have no interest but money setting up events and as long as they meet the minimum requirments then thats all they will do.

    More fighters and gyms need to put their foot down long term ~ to make sure that no one gets a serious injury.

  7. #7

    Default

    Absolutely...I'm afraid until fighters and teams start asking the promoters some questions then it goes unnoticed until someone has a bad experience. The experienced guys know the crack, but some of those coming through just wanna fight regardless and often for no money, let alone any protection. Changes need to happen...immediately. Promoters who don't demonstrate that they are taking measures to protect the fighters and the sport should be given the opportunity to explain their decisions and thereafter exposed so that other have a more educated view of exactly what they are signing up to.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clarke View Post
    St. Johns Ambulance don't even charge that much, grab 4 of those guys and you'll be right.
    lol: i wouldn't let st john's near me.

    imho each event should have a qualified paramedic with the necessary skills and equipment to deal with spinal injuries and unconscious fighters. a st johns first aider with a bag of triangle bandages is no good.

    promotors have a legal responsability to provide ADEQUATE medical cover at events, if they fail to do so they could be held liable for injuries.

    i know, cos my mate provides event medical cover

  9. #9

    Default

    Great thread! I am just promoting the first art of combat in Scotland, I have two paramedics and a doctor all confirmed to do medical assessments and ring side medical treatment. I am suprised I over looked having a second medical crew to check fighters after the fight...thank you for the advice!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Are St. John's Ambulance good enough to cover an MMA show?
    A resounding no. State registered paramedics as a minimum.

    AMMA from here on in has a Doctor as well as a crew of 3 paramedics. There is also a fully equipped ambulance on stand by.
    if you think its easy stop now

    no one achieved anything by doing nothing

    never argue with a fool

    if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

    http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.