Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paramedics at fight shows

Even state registered paramedics arnt the greatest... after my last fight I was told by one that my eye was fine and not to worry only a bit bruising. 3 months, a plate, 2 pins, and a fractured skull later lol... that being said they DO do a fantastic job 99% of the time
    The Dungeon Sunderland / Checkmatt BJJ team

Quote Originally Posted by NeilD View Post
    Even state registered paramedics arnt the greatest... after my last fight I was told by one that my eye was fine and not to worry only a bit bruising. 3 months, a plate, 2 pins, and a fractured skull later lol... that being said they DO do a fantastic job 99% of the time
    Thats why I said them as a minimum mate. Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune but yes, fully equipped SRP's as a matter of course.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

My understanding is that any event should have risk assessments, this should include a first aid risk assessment. The risks of injury and the severity of the injury for any sporting event is calculated, the number of competitors and spectators all need to be taken into account. Trained first aiders are usually sufficient to cover the crowd up to a certain number as there is a lower risk of any serious injury. The fighters would of course be classified differently with a higher risk score, so paramedics for the fighters and first aiders for the crowd may be acceptable.

Trained paramedics are a must for any big MMA show IMO, you could try and argue otherwise but I think it could leave a promoter open to a claim for negligence no matter what disclaimer forms the fighter have signed if a fighter sustained serious injury because of inadequate first aid cover.

I think the comment that it is up to the fighters and coaches to push for the minimum standard of safety they will accept its a very valid point.
    http://www.godsofwarmma.com/
    MMA, Grappling and Kickboxing classes in Reading Berkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clarke View Post
    St. Johns Ambulance don't even charge that much, grab 4 of those guys and you'll be right.
    (If you've seen the little britian sketches) I do NOT want to be offered a polo whilst bleeding profusely from a six inch cut lol
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

No St John are not good enough to cover MMA or Boxing and their own internal regulations prevent them from covering these types of events. They are NOT paramedics and are just first aiders. They do not have the drugs or skills that paramedics have and only have a tenth of the training.
    Fight Paramedics - available for events throughout the UK

Interesting thread. Thanks. So would it be a bad idea to have a combination of a paramedic team/ambulance and a St Johns?

Default medical cover

As a provider of paramedics & doctors to events, a typical 'risk' assesment is not going to do it. Each event each risk event.. two are never the same.
    First aiders (st John/Andrews,, red cross) will suffice for the crowd..ONLY
    state registed paramedics, (not military, army) can administer a vast range of medical procedures, (some times more than a Doctor!) These boys N girls deal with trauma day in, day out, in scotland they also are trained to administer & deal with wounds,(eg closures, glue, stitching,,,,etc)
    airway managment ( uncon casualties) is a paramedics bread n butter.. with various methods & equipment to protect the fighter. We can also do pre match medicals & post fight assesments.
    A minimum of 3,,, yes 3 paramedics should be on hand at an event, & No, you dont need a fully equipped Ambo on 'Stand by'.... all equipment, medcial gasses for pain relief, oxeygen, life saving drugs, should be on hand. If situation is so serious, you call in outside ambulance, then the medics can stabalise patient.
    If any promoters wish to e mail me for advice etc please do so.
    info@firstcall medical training.co.uk
    cheers for reading

C

Quote Originally Posted by mac the medic View Post
    First aiders (st John/Andrews,, red cross) will suffice for the crowd..ONLY
    state registed paramedics, (not military, army) can administer a vast range of medical procedures, (some times more than a Doctor!)
    C
    sorry just to clarify, What procedures can a paramedic administer that a doctor cant?

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    sorry just to clarify, What procedures can a paramedic administer that a doctor cant?
    Legally, nothing. A paramedic is limited to a specified range of procedures and drugs whereas a doctor can do anything he doesn't mind explaining to the GMC afterwards.

Practically, the average paramedic is better able to deal with an emergency than all but a tiny minority of doctors.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurning; 05-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.

I'm glad you said Legally....... Pramedics, can also carry out procedures that they will & do take responsability for. The JRCALC is Advisory in so many places. The pramedic or Para Practioner holds thier own license & again like Doctors can do anything he doesn't mind explaining to the HPC (health care profesional Council)afterwards.
    George, On the other point about what para's can do more than doctors : I should have clarified myself. Paramedics carry out trauma / life threatening assesments far more frequently than the vast MAJORITY of Doctors (GP's)etc Unless they work in A & E........ ALL Bow down to the 'GOD A& E consultant'
    More often Para's do this in an unclinical area,, ( bathroom, garden, car, etc) where they are own thier own without a team of nurses (real 'Gods' in A & E ) & other doctors present & every thing is at nice height to work at. I hope this goes some wayto explain myself & comments

Mac