Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Paramedics at fight shows

  1. #31

    Default

    I provide medical cover at MMA events. where the majority of the time there are no serious injuries, when a serious injury does occur, you need to ensure you have experienced and qualified people on scene.

    we did an event last night and had Two State Registered Paramedics and Four private Ambulance Service Technicians on site. All fighters have a pre-match medical and we work closely with the referee and organisers.

    as for using St John Ambulance, no disrespect but they are mainly your joe blogs worker with a first aid at work qualification. they may be dustmen during the week and first aiders on a weekend so think and think good about what cover you require.

  2. #32

    Default

    Hi Guys, i am a medic yes a real one, i have covered many a show and found i could have done with 3 hands, but it is down to cost, when i attend a show we start be talking to the fighters with the ref, yes it would be good to have two crews at all shows but its the cost, we attend with front line equipment + the critical care ambulance, some say it will not happen to them, i can tell you it does and has happend, some one mentioned St Johns, good outfit sadly they are not fully conversent with what can happen, i have been to a show and the St j turned to do the crowed ? they did not have the right equipment and when the fight started they did not no how fast to get out the hall.

    Guys, its your safety please ask for a medicl team at all fights they may not be needed but hell when they are they do the stuff

    Thanks

    Bill

  3. #33

    Default

    hi gents, i provide event cover as well, I have one A & E consultant + two para + EMP that can stitch on site if needed + one EMT. this system works as you say pre fight in fight and after fight, i think some forget it is the fighters that take the risk not the one that puts on the show, it is daft to say i have medical cover and it cost me 150 yes thats what i have just been told, these medics are they insured have the full med neg cover, and as for a ambulance i feel if you have one use it, in some locations it may take up to 30 40 mins for the 999 crew to get to you. so please dont just say you can stabilise the fighter if he needs to go then get him away to the A & E
    I have done this for a number of years and i have ECPs Paras + Docs they work as a team and the fighter is the focus not the one that pays the bill at the end of the night, i would hate to tell someones mam sorry just did not think to ask if the were insured or even trained

    Thats my winge mate........stay safe

    Bill

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Hi Guys, i am a medic yes a real one, i have covered many a show and found i could have done with 3 hands, but it is down to cost, when i attend a show we start be talking to the fighters with the ref, yes it would be good to have two crews at all shows but its the cost, we attend with front line equipment + the critical care ambulance, some say it will not happen to them, i can tell you it does and has happend, some one mentioned St Johns, good outfit sadly they are not fully conversent with what can happen, i have been to a show and the St j turned to do the crowed ? they did not have the right equipment and when the fight started they did not no how fast to get out the hall.

    Guys, its your safety please ask for a medicl team at all fights they may not be needed but hell when they are they do the stuff

    Thanks

    Bill

    For a real medic your english is awful!!

  5. #35

    Default

    may be but the paramedics are on the hpc site and the doc is a air ambulance doc, the ECP is what it is saying, me who i am just one of many ! it must be good to be perfect !!! if only the world was round........

  6. #36

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    may be but the paramedics are on the hpc site and the doc is a air ambulance doc, the ECP is what it is saying, me who i am just one of many ! it must be good to be perfect !!! if only the world was round........

  7. #37

    Default

    I've just been speaking with a Paramedic hire company who are saying that for this type of event you should have a Doctor on site who is trained to pre assess fighters as well as deal with post fight trauma, the paramedics should only be there to assist... anybody got a clue how you go about hiring a doctor? and are all Doctors the same?

  8. #38

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I've just been speaking with a Paramedic hire company who are saying that for this type of event you should have a Doctor on site who is trained to pre assess fighters as well as deal with post fight trauma, the paramedics should only be there to assist... anybody got a clue how you go about hiring a doctor? and are all Doctors the same?

    Nope not all doctors are the same!

    Questions I would ask:

    1. Are you licensed with the GMC?
    2. Are you insured to carry out work like this?
    3. Have you got any experience of ringside medicine?
    4. Have you got any A&E experience or anaesthetic experience?
    5. Have you got your own equipment? If yes - what do you carry? This is the minium essentials which I carry:

    - BP monitor
    - pulse oximeter
    - stephoscope
    - auroscope and opthalmoscope
    - oxygen, bag and mask, suction
    - suture equipment
    - resus medication
    - iv access and a bag of normal saline

    6. How much do you charge?!

  9. #39

    Default

    Just hire a sport medicine doctor. He will be far more qualified than any paramedic for these types of events. They have specialised training in sports medicine and A&e.
    Pre medic assessments by paramedics do not sound legitimate.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Evzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave78 View Post
    (If you've seen the little britian sketches) I do NOT want to be offered a polo whilst bleeding profusely from a six inch cut lol
    C'mon, you never slipped an extra strong mint into a 6 inch wound?

    On a serious note, interesting read this thread, thanks
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.