Thread: Questions for active fighters

Default Questions for active fighters

Hey folks,

I'm a massive fan of the UK MMA scene as a whole and have nothing but respect for anyone who decides to step in the ring / cage. Hopefully one day i will achieve my own goals and fight full time.

I have a couple of questions for you dudes / dudettes who compete in combat sports, See below;

Walk around weight?

Fight weight?

BF Percentage?

What is your diet like when you’re not training for a fight? / How doe’s it change when you get a fight booked?

What is your favored way of cutting weight?

If you have weight to cut the day of weigh in; what is your preferred method and why?

How do you re-fuel your body after weigh in?

How do you train when you have no fights coming up? Do you work more technique and your weak points, or do you prefer to always be a couple of training sessions away from fighting condition?

How long do you usually take off for rest after each fight if any?

This is just for my knowledge only, As I'd be interested to see reply's. If you don't want to answer them that's cool, Or if you prefer you can PM me your answers? Either way is cool.

Cheers
    Scott

I am not currently an active fighter in my current MMA club, but have boxed in the past, and am currently training towards MMA fighting (watch this space!)

Walk around wieght 74kg
    Fight weight 70kg
    BF percentage no idea

diet when not traning

healthy breakfast: cereal and fruit
    healthy lunch: sandwiches (brown bread etc) and fruit
    Healthy dinner: meant and 2 veg kinda thing
    snack on fruit

no fried foods, no chips, no frozen rubbish that goes in the oven for 20 minutes on gas mark 7 etc, rarely drink (i.e once every few months have a couple at a spcecial occasion)

one day a week have a day off the diet to prevent stravation mode/to stop me going mental

Fighter diet:

as above

favoured way of cutting wieght:
    heavy training, vary portion sizes accordingly

favour traning method:

constantly ready to fight at a few weeks notice

Resting following fights:
    Dependant on how hard the fight is, generally around a week
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm a massive fan of the UK MMA scene as a whole and have nothing but respect for anyone who decides to step in the ring / cage. Hopefully one day i will achieve my own goals and fight full time.

I have a couple of questions for you dudes / dudettes who compete in combat sports, See below;

Walk around weight? 77

Fight weight?70 (day before) 73-75 (day of)

BF Percentage? 8-10% (has been professionaly taken)

What is your diet like when you’re not training for a fight? / How doe’s it change when you get a fight booked? Diet is generally whole foods and healthy foods, very little processed or fatty foods. Near to fight time portions restricted and all fats other than good fats completely cut out as are empty calories.

What is your favored way of cutting weight? Portion control and very limited water intake day of until after weigh in (plus sauna day before). I dont cut much weight as you can see as i am am not pro

If you have weight to cut the day of weigh in; what is your preferred method and why? water control and sauna

How do you re-fuel your body after weigh in? water, whey protein, small decent meals

How do you train when you have no fights coming up? Do you work more technique and your weak points, or do you prefer to always be a couple of training sessions away from fighting condition? 7-8 per week but always one day rest, 3-4xCombat (MMA/BJJ/Sparring), 2xCardio, 2xStrength

How long do you usually take off for rest after each fight if any?
    barring injuries, only a couple of days at most, but would normally return to light training and weight training not full sparring

This is just for my knowledge only, As I'd be interested to see reply's. If you don't want to answer them that's cool, Or if you prefer you can PM me your answers? Either way is cool.

Cheers
    Scott
    edited the above, I am amatuer not pro though. Hope this is of interest to you
    Last edited by Dave78; 05-05-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Yeah thats great dudes , Cheers!

Walk around weight? between 88-90kg

Fight weight? 77kg

BF Percentage? at fight time bout 7%

What is your diet like when you’re not training for a fight? / How doe’s it change when you get a fight booked? when not training diet is very bad but as soon asfights are confirmed its cleaned up and full of green veggies and lean protien sources like fish eggs and turkey

What is your favored way of cutting weight? no carbs for week leading up to fight and drink like 8 litres of water a day .night before weigh-in have real hot bath then jump into thick warm clothes and sweat it out in bed then maybe little bit of time in sauna plus not food or water 24 hours before weigh-in

If you have weight to cut the day of weigh in; what is your preferred method and why? try and sweat it out gentle like skipping in some thick clothes ,i find sauna too harsh for on the day weigh ins

How do you re-fuel your body after weigh in? loads of water with rehydration sachets in them and an sports drink with protein powder in it and small meals of good carbs like sweet potatoes, quinoa, wholemeal pasta and brown rice

How do you train when you have no fights coming up? Do you work more technique and your weak points, or do you prefer to always be a couple of training sessions away from fighting condition? try to work on improving and adding to my game and increasing my strength and explosiveness .dont tend to stay in fight shape due to big risk of burnout or injury

How long do you usually take off for rest after each fight if any?[/B] usually back in the gym a few days after but like every second day for a week or so

hope thats helpful mate

stephen bam bam peebles
    making bamjitsu happen since 2007
    bamjitsu@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers Bam Bam