Thread: Village muay thai

Default Village muay thai

I've just found a dvd my coach gave me a while ago because he couldnt get it to work (its actually a VCD). Its all in Thai but as far as I can make out it is a bunch of fights in the same village in Thailand (could be anywhere poor in Asia though) pitting mynmar and thai style fighters from very young ages upto adults.

Rules include headbutts and elbows at all ages too, and gloves are out, with fighters using handwraps only. I've only ever seen pictures of such events, never a full video. The first kids fight seen one wee guy take two or three head kicks in the first round!

Has anyone ever seen stuff like this and if so, what was your opinion? Were you a bit disturbed to see 8 year olds smashing each other with elbows? I was astounded at the (relative) punishment these kids were taking and realised that they are far tougher than I could claim to be!
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

Must be same one i have seen, with flying headbutt? i think elbows and head butts for children are bit much, but don't think they care for children, like we do over here. i bought it off ebay few years back

Mine has a purple/pink number three in the bottom right hand corner which I assume is the 3rd in a series. yeah flying headbutt, also some tidy headbutts in the clinch and some downwards elbows to the back of the head!

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Burmese boxing bro. i got a dvd of this and it's proper wrong! God bless the competitors.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Yeah man, Burma =Mynmar, this one seems to just be Thai vs Burma though. Crazy tough, in one a kid's handwrap came off and he just took it off and continued to fight without it, one bare hand!

yer its burmese the rules are slightly fucked up. as far as i can remember the ways to finish the fight is, you have to knock the guy out 3 times in one round or cover him in enough of his own blood that you cant recognise his face anymore! lol

I got 1,2 and 3 in Bangkok Airport in 2005. Had some bhat to get rid of and saw it said thaiboxing and bought them. They are proper brutal. The ones I have are filmed in NW Thailand on a river. Across the river is Burma. The burmese come over and boats and have a load of scraps for an annual festival to celebrate the end of the Thai/Burma war.

Those kids are tough as fuck though.

there are still quite a few of these matches held around thailand, its nuts.
    Rachel Jones fought on one a few years ago and ko'd the thai lass!
    its pretty much always full thai rules in thailand, the length of the rounds can vary depending on the age of the fighters but always with knees and elbows to the head, even the kids. we think its crazy to let kids fight full thai rules but over there thats muay thai and they cant understand why we have c and b class fights, they cant get their heads around it at all. its a way of life and a job to them and the earlier they start the more money they can earn to feed their families
    Marianne.

Team Phoenix

Maz - I knew the adult fights were usually full rules but didn't think the kids fought with elbows for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    its a way of life and a job to them and the earlier they start the more money they can earn to feed their families
    I've tried explaining that to a few people but they just don't get it. I guess for a lot of people, it is hard to appreciate the difference between our lives and theirs - hard to imagine a kid being the main breadwinner for a family.

Sledge - I think I have the first one also but it doesn't seem to work on my pc. Says it was 190B on the bottom right corner. Probably be the same one.

Some of the fights are cracking though, despite the brutal rules!
    Last edited by Keerin; 05-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.